Stefan - It's okay to be scared

request: could you please do one where Stefan has a nightmare and Damon helps him?

P.s. This takes place in season 5. Stefan was in the safe for four days before Damon found him.

Honestly, Damon was scared of Stefan catching some sort of fever from being in the quarry for so long. The temperatures were freezing, and his lungs could have been damaged from drowning as well. Luckily, Stefan seemed fine, but Damon was still worried. He had gotten a bit of animal blood into Stefan's system, and now Stefan was sleeping in his room, while Damon was ear stropping to make sure that the breathing remained intact and calm.

Damon didn't know how long he had been listening in silence. It didn't feel like long, but he had surely zoned out and been sitting in the quiet living room for hours until Stefan's breaths became uneven and he let out small whimpers. Damon rushed to the room, placing a hand on Stefan's shoulder.

He barely had time to notice the flinch that he earned from Stefan before a fist was slammed into the side of his face. Damon stumbled backwards, bringing his hand to his bruising cheekbone. He looked at Stefan, who stared at him in fear. Damon held out his hand towards Stefan as a sign of peace but Stefan backed so far back that he fell off the bed.

"Get away from me, Silas. Get out of my head. Please. Please, leave me alone." 

Stefan struggled to get up, and Damon rushed to him. He cupped Stefan's face and looked him in the eyes.

"It's me. It's me. Hey! It's Damon! It's me. It's Damon. You're safe. You're safe, Stefan. I'm here. It's Damon. Your older brother."

Stefan didn't seem convinced. He was shaking in fear.

"Damon...?" His voice was so small.

"Yes. It's me. It's Damon."

Stefan fell into Damons hold, and Damon squeezed him affectionately. He brought Stefan downstairs to the fireplace and wrapped him up in a blanket. Said that he was gonna make him a cup of tea. Stefan heard Damon talk to someone on the phone in the kitchen, which was a good thing, because he honestly doubted that Silas would even have a phone. Also, whoever was on the other end of the line was believing that Damon was really Damon, so Stefan shouldn't have to worry.

Damon came back with a mug, but Stefan couldn't shake the thought, that Silas could be in his head, appearing to be Damon, even though Stefan already knew that he was the doppelgänger of Silas, and that he already knew his true form.

But Stefan needed proof. He needed to be certain. So he picked his phone up from his pocket and called Damon. Damon would always have his phone with him. He never left without it.

"What are you doing, baby brother?" Damon asked, and when the phone ringing came from the kitchen, Stefan wasn't sure what to believe. He cracked a leg off a wooden chair and threw himself at Damon, but his instincts were weakened and Damon were the better warrior of the two of them. He immediately had Stefan pinned to the ground. He had dropped the mug, which was now broken in a thousand pieces with tea all over the floor.

"You need to calm down!" Damon said.

"My head, Damon. It's a mess. Please help me. Please make it stop." Stefan cried miserably. Damon picked him up and cradled him and shushed him.

"I've got you, baby brother. I've got you. I just need you to breathe. All you gotta do is breathe. Then I'll take care of everything else."