Gifts - Chp 37

I fear that my very fears have become true; the letters shared between Lucille myself have ceased to arrive on my front door. Every day Abelard comes to the mail box or my front door with news he looks into my eager and pleading eyes to only offer me a stiff shake of the head and nothing more. Could it possibly mean something? Was Abelard keeping his lips locked as Roberto was in sight, had he caught wind of Lucille’s and I’s treachery?  My heart is lodged in my throat and I fear that I’ll soon strangle myself; it seems every breath is a ghastly strain and every night no sleep shall come. I am a restless man who’s fading away. What must I do? I lay awake at night staring at the ceiling tortured and haunted by the unknown, the possibilities; did Roberto discover the truth? Had Lucille given up hope? Had she in turn wedded with another man and given up on the pitiful fool that stares back at me in the mirror? My heart aches in worry; I must know; is my Lucille safe and was my heart in good hands? How could I expect to be sane when I couldn’t even reach my heart to know where she lies, if we lie still, together? – Jacob Iris.

“There, that should be perfectly fine to heal on its own.” Keith murmured giving Luc’s arm a tap as he straightened up.

“You sure, you did after all make it feel like you were using a chainsaw.” Luc murmured jokingly with his usual cheeky charming grin.

Keith snorted “Humans, biggest pussies.”

“So he’s really going to be fine? No stitches?” I interrupted their banter anxiously as I ran my fingers through Luc’s hair needing to be as close as possible, not only so I knew he was okay but also so I didn’t have a chance of falling apart.

Keith nodded with a reassuring and gentle smile “Yeah, they didn’t burry it deep and even if it is a little deep or worrying the Werewolf blood in him will get right on it and start healing.” He informed me with a charming easy going smile, relaxed for once and in his own zone “The perks of being a Werewolf.”

“Lucky bastard.” Luc muttered under his breath and I couldn’t help but let my lips twitch “It must be awesome knowing you’re invincible.” He murmured more so to himself and with awe, it was like he was a little boy talking about his favorite superhero.

“We’re not invincible.” Keith pointed out seriously “Not any kind is invincible; each and every one of us has a weakness.”

“So what is yours? Silver?” I asked looking up interested, were all the myths you read in the books true? Did Vampires really sparkle like retarded fairies?

I watched as the corner of Keith’s lip twitched and I wondered if it was a question he was always asked “Yes and no,” he allowed choosing his explanation delicately “Silver to us is like losing blood, it weakens you and it makes it harder to survive the blows. But it can become more deadly if it’s left in your body over a longer period, it makes it practically impossible to shift to protect yourself. It’s like a barrier or wall is pulled up and you lose that touch with your inner wolf, so it’d be stupid to still not use silver if you wanted to fight smart.”

I nodded my gaze unblinking and unwavering from him as he spoke “So what does kill you instantly? Is there anything that’s literally a kryptonite?” I asked.

Keith shrugged “We’re just like any other human really when it comes to that, I mean you get a stab to the heart or decapitated of course you’re going to die. Werewolves and other creatures are the same; the difference is that Werewolves have the gift of healing properties.”

“What about the full moon?” Lucas piped up where his head was still nestled in my lap, my fingers unknown to me still running through his hair and massaging his scalp.

Keith chuckled softly with a heavy sigh as he nestled himself back into the opposite couch realizing that the interrogation was far from over. It was now our turn to ask questions and Keith most likely knew from experience that it wasn’t just some quick and easy conversation.