Chapter 12: Mind Manipulation

Tony's POV

"We got Strucker." Y/N said through the comms. The kid had really grown on me in the past few years. I'd even let him stay at the tower before we remade it. Now he has his own room there like the other guys. I think of it as a thank you gift for him saving me back in New York.

"Yeah, I got something bigger." I responded, entering a massive room. It held one of those giant space snakes from New York. The entire place seemed to be under the Hydra base. I walked over to a small table of sorts, finding some sort of robot on it. Then looking over to see multiple more tables all with the same thing. It was odd to say the least. But then I found what I was here for. The sceptre.

"Thor, I got eyes on the prize." I stated, slowly approaching the sceptre which was being held up by some sort of device. An odd feeling washed over me for a moment, a faint sound echoing around the room. I turned around, seeing the creature in the room growl before flying over me and into the ceiling as my surroundings began to change.

Suddenly I was in space on some sort of rock. Looking down I found... the other Avengers. Broken and defeated. Hulk was full of some sort of blades, twitching on the ground. Romanoff was on her back, staring to the side as if she wasn't mentally aware of what was happening. Barton was just sat staring at the ground. Thor was unconscious, Mjolnir next to him. Cap's shield was broken and he laid next to the broken item, also unresponsive. And Y/N... Y/N's sword was on the ground, the blade reduced to splinters leaving only the hilt. Looking just a little more to the side, I saw the kid on his back, his head towards me and his eyes piercing my soul. He was missing his left arm and seemingly had his knife in the ground near him.

I slowly approached Y/N, kneeling down and placing my hand on his neck. Suddenly his right arm grabbed onto my wrist.

"You could've saved us, dad." He spoke quietly, his arm falling back to the ground after. Dad? I quietly thought. Fear and shock began to deep into me as I watched him stare at me, lifeless.

"Why didn't you do more." His voice echoed into my mind. I slowly looked up, seeing leviathans and Chitauri flying towards a portal... a portal that lead straight to Earth. Then...

Boom. I was back with the sceptre. I looked around, seeing the leviathan still there. Nothing had changed. What the hell was that? I thought. Sweat dropped down my brows. I extended my hand out to the side, summoning my right gauntlet. Walking around the sceptre before taking it, staring into the blue shell for a moment.

 Walking around the sceptre before taking it, staring into the blue shell for a moment

3rd Person POV

The quinjet soared above the clouds silently. Tony piloting the craft while the others were in the back. Clint was laid down as he was still injured, Steve and Natasha checking on him, Thor was pacing around, looking at a few things on the aircraft, Bruce was sat listening to opera music, and you were sat thinking about the experience you had.

"Who was that girl?" You mumbled quietly. Nobody heard you though. Did she come into contact with the Tesseract too? No, you'd have known since she hit you with her ability. It was similar to your own, you were sure of that. But there was also something different about it. The same feeling you got when you first touched the sceptre. The feeling that we have something in common. You definitely did have something in common, that's why you were dwelling on this. But it's almost like there's something else you have in common, like the item that gave you both your powers have something in common. You were cut from your thoughts as you heard someone raise their voice.

"Thor, report on the Hulk." Natasha called out to the god of thunder. She had been talking to Bruce about how the lullaby had worked at turning him to normal.

"The gates of Hel are filled with the screams of his victims." Thor said enthusiastically. It was so enthusiastically that it made you forget about your issue for the moment and laugh.

Natasha glared at Thor then you as Banner put his head in his hands. You raised your hands in defence and she turned back to Thor.

"But not the screams of the dead, of course. No, no, wounded screams. Mainly whimpering, a great deal of complaining and tales of sprained deltoids and gout." Thor began trailing off, making Nat shake her head and turn away. "Say, Y/N, you've been awfully quite on the ride so far, might I ask what you're thinking about?" Thor called to you, trying to change the subject. You were a little caught of guard, being called on so suddenly. You looked up to see everyone had looked at you. They were thinking the same thing but none of them had asked.

"I- um, nothing?" You stuttered slightly. You didn't exactly have anything to hide, but you weren't about to tell everyone that you were thinking of a girl, even if you had good reason to. Tony would never let you live it down.

"Bullshit." Tony called out. He quickly said a few things to Jarvis before his chair began to move backwards, putting the quinjet on autopilot as he stood up. "Any of you get a good look at those enhanced?" He asked, looking around the group. You raised your hand and Clint lightly raised his. "Who wants to share first?"

"Not it." You said quickly. Tony gave you a small smile as he expected you were trying to hide something, but relented and waited for Clint to talk.

"Wel-" just before Clint began talking, Tony cut him off.

"Actually, I think Barton needs his rest. Y/N, why don't you go first?" He motioned to you with a small smile evident. The others were confused at Tony's change in heart but agreed that Clint should be resting. You stared Tony down, plotting your revenge for him betraying you like that.

"The one that me and Steve encountered was a girl, looked 17 maybe 18, had telekinesis and maybe telepathy, threw Steve down the stairs." You began giving a run through, seeing everyone look at Steve who had his arms crossed.

"What? She came out of nowhere." Steve countered. He hadn't seen the girl coming, and he also thought her powers seemed very similar to yours.

"What did she look like?" Natasha questioned, leaning forward ever so slightly as she sat.

"Long brown hair, brown eyes- and red, dark clothing, pretty cute." You went through the features you could remember, crossing your arms. Everyone looked at you for a moment as they heard the last feature. You looked at everyone for a second. "What? Just being honest."

"Our boy is finally becoming a man!" Tony announced with a smug grin on his face. You oh so badly wanted to slap it off of him, but sighed in defeat. I'll get you back at some point.