Chapter 1: Recruitment

3rd Person POV

It was late evening and the sun had begun to set. You were sat inside one of NYC's coffee shops, seated in the corner drinking a latte as you stared at your hands.

A thin needle of blue energy formed between your fingers. You studied the item for a moment, still unsure of what the power itself was but you knew it had something to do with the cube you came into contact with. You hoped to one day find out why you gained these abilities, and just how exactly.

"Alright, everyone, hands up!" A voice yelled as they entered the café.

You looked up from your hands to see a man with a gun pointed at the barista. Who robs a coffee shop? You thought, confused on the choice. Everyone in the store, seated and behind the counter raised their hands, except for you. You had no intentions of being told what to do, no matter the situation.

The criminal ignored you for the moment and turned to the barista, ordering them to empty the cash register. You narrowed your eyes and placed your thumb on the hilt of your sword and sheath which was resting next to you, before teleporting behind them.

"Give Death my greetings, buddy." You said, enjoying the look of surprise and fear in the man's eyes. Within a split second you unsheathed the weapon, swiping it horizontally and slashing completely through the man's chest. He slipped down to his knees as the light disappeared from his eyes.

You slipped some cash onto the bar before placing a hand on the criminal's shoulder and teleporting away. Another day, another death.

You walked through the dark streets of New York. You had gotten information on a Hydra operative that would be in the city tonight. For the past year you've been hunting down and killing any Hydra members that you have heard about. A little karma for them enslaving you for 5 years.

Gazing at the illuminated buildings nearby. You kind of liked the look of NYC during the night. Stopping walking, you turned to your side and looked from window to window before settling on the one you were looking for. You turned towards the building and began climbing using your claws. You had learnt to control your shapeshifting and the other things you had gained in Hydra, but still struggled to control the power the Tesseract gifted you so long ago.  But you were still unsure of what exactly this... energy was. You paused your climbing to look at your right hand, the same blue aura radiating from it for a moment.

You continued climbing until reaching the open window you had laid eyes on. The interior was pitch black and you couldn't see anything. You latched your hands onto the bottom of the window before hoisting body up and inside. Landing on the floor of the dark room with a roll. Where are you? You thought, scouting for the operative.

"Y/N M/N L/N." The lights snapped on to reveal a man in a suit and tie sat in a chair. "I'm Agent Phil Coulson of S.H.I.E.L.D." He said, sitting forward with his hands together.

"The information I was given, it was from you wasn't it?" You questioned, looking around the almost empty room besides a few seats and tables. Coulson nodded in response.

"I'd like to ask for your help." Phil stated. He stood to his feet and picked up a document from a nearby table, handing it out to you.
You took hold of the file and opened it. Reading through the document for a while before looking up at the S.H.I.E.L.D agent.

The document told you about things like project P.E.G.A.S.U.S, whatever that was. It also gave some basics on what the Cube was. If apparently had something to do with transportation? At least that's what the file said.

"The Cube? Why do you need me?" You asked. The last time you ever saw the Tesseract it had freed you from HYDRA's control, and given you so much more.

"After you came into contact with the Tesseract and it freed you from HYDRA, our sources have shown that you have an affinity with it's power." Phil informed. The news made a lot of sense now that you thought about it.

"I'm pretty sure there are a lot of better options to pick from than me." You said, turning your eyes to him. You could list so many people that would fit the job better than you, even if you yourself had an affinity with the Space Cube.

"Who said you're the only one we're recruiting?" Coulson said with a smirk. Okay, now it made more sense. A team would fit this situation better than just one person.

"So, who took it?" You asked, handing the file back to Coulson. It was rare you found yourself asking so many questions. It was almost like there was something tugging on you, luring you to the Cube.

"He's called "Loki". He's not from here. There's a lot we're gonna have to teach you if you're in." Phil replied, watching you intently. You couldn't care if this guy was from Britain or Mars, if he was an enemy then he was allowed to be terminated. If he was allowed to be terminated, you were allowed to have fun terminating him. You had also noticed you had become a lot more aggressive and threatening after your years of being in HYDRA, and if that was from being brainwashed or because you didn't socialise, you would probably never know.

"You got a team? You should know that I don't work very well with others." You said, crossing your arms. During the time in HYDRA you almost always worked alone, and the few times you had a partner, they almost never came back alive. You completely despised having to fight alongside other people since that meant you had an obligation to watch their back. More time spent defending teammates, means less time spent fighting.

"So, you accept?" Phil asked, tilting his head slightly. It seemed obvious that they wanted your help, almost desperately. You didn't have much of a choice but to accept.

"I'll join, but don't be surprised if I get anyone killed." You said. You checked your left palm, extending your claws and looking at them. "I have a habit of turning 'team 1 vs team 2' situations into 'Team 1 vs Team 2 vs Team Me' situations." You scratched the back of your head with a nervous smile. It was surprising how quickly you dropped your apathetic mask, showing your normal behaviour.

"I'll tell them to watch out." Phil said in an almost sarcastic tone, or at least you thought it was sarcastic, there was a good chance he was being dead serious. He stood up and began approaching the door. "Oh, and by the way, there's something we'd like to show you when you greet the others."

"You still didn't tell me who these 'others' are." You said, narrowing your eyes at him. You were quite curious to find out who exactly they were. Hopefully they were strong enough to protect themselves without your help.

"Oh, you'll see." With that said Phil opened the door and exited the room, which was now only occupied by you. He didn't answer the fucking question. You exhaled, slightly annoyed that he didn't tell you.

I'll see? You questioned in your head. You shook it off and sighed. You walked back to the window, placing one foot on it. As you prepared to leave you took one more glance back at the room. When getting a better look you noticed the room itself was quite large and looked expensive, even without furniture. You shrugged before turning back and jumping from the window.