Chapter 55: Lost Weapon

Link's POV

I'd never really cared too much for the quinjets or the home of the Avengers. But after just flying in one and now being inside the compound, I gotta say that they're pretty damn cool. Me and Ryan were literally just looking all around as Natasha and Steve lead us through the place.

Eventually we arrived in a large room. There was only one person inside, but he was talking to the hologram of another man. I knew the guy who was physically there. War Machine. James Rhodes.

"Isn't that the one guy that (Y/N) said he'd give a slow death to?" I pointed to the guy, looking at Ryan next to me. He also took a look at the man, then nodded to me.

"Yep. That's him." He agreed with me.

"Mr. Secretary." Steve said his name. Ross stared over us all, apparently upset that we were here? I couldn't really tell.

"You got some nerve. I'll give you that." Ross stepped towards Natasha at a slow pace. He wasn't talking specifically to her, it was to everyone here, I could tell that.

"I think you could use some of that right now." Nat responded, causing Ross to click his tongue and turn to Steve this time.

"The world's on fire. And you think all is forgiven?" God, I wanted to hit that man. Now I see why (Y/N) hates him. He's a dick.

"I'm not looking for forgiveness. And I'm way past asking for permission," Steve replied. Oh, I'd pat that man on the back if it wasn't a wildly inappropriate time to do so. "Earth just lost two of her best defenders. So we're here to fight. But if you wanna stand in our way... we'll fight you too."

I assumed that the two defenders were Tony Stark and (Y/N). I'd seen the news. I'm pretty sure we all had. Considering he left with Tony, too, and now Tony was missing.

"Arrest them." Ross turned to Rhodes. It was like he knew he just got his ass handed to him verbally, and now he was going to try this card to have the last laugh. Such a poor soul.

"I'm all over it." Rhodes swiped his hand, making the hologram disappear and leaving us all just staring at Rhodes. "That's a court-martial." He looked to Steve. "It's great to see you, Cap." Both Steve and Natasha walked over to him, with Steve shaking his hand.

It felt out of place to be here. Glancing behind me, I took a quick look at Wanda, Pietro, Vision, and Sam. Pietro and Sam were holding Vision up and Wanda was stood next to them.

"Looks like you guys had a rough couple years." Rhodes pointed out, looking over the others before me and Ryan. "Found more newbies while you were out, too."

"Please. If I was a newbie, you'd be terrified to see me at my best." Ryan spoke up. Big words considering he got injured during the last fight.

"Big talk. You're sounding like (Y/N)." Rhodes smirked at him.

"Yeah... I kind of agree." A voice said from further behind Rhodes. Looking over, I could see Bruce Banner. Didn't this guy disappear like 3 years ago? All eyes were on him, now. "Yeah. I'm back." He chuckled, slowly stepping a little closer.

"Hi, Bruce." Natasha stared at him. Not at all weird. There was a brief pause before Bruce made a response.

"Nat." He said. The silence was incredibly uncomfortable.

"This is... this is kind of awkward." I said aloud, making Ryan nod to me, and I swore I could hear Sam mutter in agreement.

"So, we're just assuming that they're coming back, right?" Rhodes asked.