"Shut your mouth and go back home." she snapped at him, anger mixed with fear and worry sparkling in her eyes.

She wanted to go alone, make sure that everyone else was ok, and while she feared leaving her brother alone, she dreaded bringing him with her even more. He thought he was sneaky, but she heard his coughs, his heavy breathing, his eyes struggling to remain open. He was tired, so very tired, but he was determined to tag along and see the others. His pretense was that if something were to happen, he could talk the Foundation into backing off, or make a deal with them at least. But that wasn't his true reason. Reality was much harsher than that and it made Gertrude want to scream and throw up.

He was almost there, the time creeping closer and closer, and he didn't want to be alone when death would come to claim his soul.

If he stayed home if he didn't force himself to travel and saved his strength. If he didn't stress himself, then maybe, just maybe...

"It will happen Gertrude. Whether we like it or not." he whispered, as if reading his sister's mind. "That's just how life goes."

He made his peace. He was ready. Afraid, but still ready. Cowering in a corner, begging for mercy, what use would it have? He would have to face it in some way or another. And there were many, so many people on the other side, faces he wished to see again, to hug, to smile, to hear laughing.

"I'm going to miss you." a voice echoed in his mind, a young girl with blue eyes and blonde hair looked at him from the periphery of his vision.

Ah! He was half-dreaming again. How silly. But at least he could have some company other than his reckless sister. One who didn't yell so much.

"I know." he thought, knowing that she would hear him.

She tilted her head to the side, avoiding her gaze, walking over to the trees of the dark forest surrounding the station, reminders of the home she had been taken away from.

"When you're gone," she began, her tone as nonchalant as ever, "I will take my revenge on them."

"Don't. It's not worth it." he tried to argue, hoping that he could sway her.

Forget and forgive was impossible for Lily, the horrors of what had been done to her having led to the sorry state of she was in. A thought, free to roam in the head of others as she saw fit, spy on their thoughts, influence them, but a thought, nonetheless. A memory. There always had to be someone to remember her, someone in whose mind she could dwell, she was as good as dead. And her travels from one mind to another was not lacking danger either. There were creatures behind the veil, beings for whom thoughts were just as delicious as flesh was to a hungry wolf, monsters for whom she would make a tasty meal. Inside a mind she was a bit safer, but she could not stay for too long. Minds were weaker while she lurked inside them, leaving the host exposed to the beings outside. Thus she had no choice but to travel continuously, never settling too much in one place and remaining only a passing fancy of whose existence very few could be sure of. Only the Foundation members knew of her nature and while most hated and feared her, some took pity and their minds became a place of rest for her. That eased her anger towards the members of that Organization, yet desire for justice still resided within her heart.

"I won't ask you to stop it, " he thought, the voice of his sister becoming background noise as he delved deeper into the dream, "but I wish you try something else to achieve your happiness."

"Like what?" she inquired.

"Well, I know some people who would love to meet you, and a fat, black cat who would adore a new partner in crime." the old man said, an image of Shade lazing around on the couch in his living room, trying not to laugh as the Pale King was accusing them of every bad thing under the sun, yet no one believed him.