Chapter 24 "Accept your mate or leave."

Ignoring my hearts attempts to escape my chest I tried to brush it off and walk up to them. However, I did change my definition of them. Instead of Leon and Hunter, I marched up to Cassidy.

To say she was surprised would be an understatement. Anthony's eyes bulged out of his head as I halted in front of them. The small step Cassidy took back, a result of Anthony nudging her back, was not missed but I ignored it.

The reaction was nothing I didn't deserve.

Regardless, I was still me and I couldn't resist morphing what I say to be mildly infuriating "I'm sorry for almost killing you. It was Hunters fault and I won't do it again." I apologised. For any doubters, that was an apology.

Anthony eyed me warily. It was to be expected really. He would be possessive of his mate as pretty much every male is and my attempt to strangle her would not get me an invite for thanksgiving dinner any time soon. They're taking this to heart way too much.

Thankfully Cassidy nodded and didn't look as cold to me as she had been. "We need to talk." She informed me quietly and I nodded. Everyone seemed to want to speak with me.

Of all places to go Cassidy chose the closest which was the kitchen. It was empty but there was a few pots boiling on the stove. Everyone must have been preoccupied with preparing for tonight.

Cassidy looked grim and I knew this conversation wasn't going to be even slightly amusing. It wouldn't be like the last time we were both in the kitchen and it was like old times. This was how times had changed.

 "Anthony told me about you and Leon. I need to know now and you need to tell me the truth; what's going on between you?" Her eyes held mine no matter how much I wanted to turn away from guilt. Why did I feel guilty? I shouldn't feel that way. Cassidy and I have changed but the old friendship remains somewhere. Too bad for my conscience, thankfully I've grown stronger when it comes to ignoring it.

"Leon and I are just fooling around. Nothing serious."

Cassidy looked regretful about what she was about to say. It took her a while for me to build up the courage to say anything. I felt my heart aching over what she might say to me and what she may have said to Hunter. "It needs to stop." I had expected those words but nothing could have softened their impact. "If my cousin finds out about you two who knows how he will react. You have two choices: accept your mate or leave."

"How the hell can I leave?" I asked astonished. Cassidy should have known that if I could have left I would have but Hunter would find me and drag me back here kicking and screaming.

"Tomorrow night. If you show up to the party for a few hours first, I'll be able to buy you enough time to run."

If Cassidy could pull this off then my life would be back to how it was before all this. I'd be an omega again. That's all I've wanted since I arrived. It was selfish to say yes, I know, but if I can leave, and my decision isn't going to hurt anyone, shouldn't that be enough reason to agree? That's what went through my head as I nodded.

My wolf let out a pained howl which I winced at. Her pain was so strong at the thought of giving up her mate once again but I couldn't afford to feel the love she held or I wouldn't be able to run tomorrow.

"Maybe you should stay away from Leon from now on too." I could tell it was a warning. She knew I would get him in trouble which undoubtedly was a possibility. But it was always a risk that we had been taking.

What was I thinking? Of course I could stay away. We were temporary. He knew that from the get go.

"Like I said, Leon and I are nothing serious."  I lied. Again. I was getting better. Even I believed the words for a second.