Chapter 32 "I'm brilliant."

Wrapping my arms around Gareth's shoulders, I gave him a tight hug. "Keep me updated okay?" I whispered in his ear. I will admit that Gareth and I didn't know one another well, no secret there, and we didn't spend as much time getting to know one another as we could have whilst he was visiting. I wasn't sad that he was leaving. I was sad Rose was leaving with him. Invested in her feelings, I didn't want her to go.

"I will." Gareth replied, giving me a friendly pat on the back as I released my hold on him. "Stop by any time. That goes for you too Lee" he looked over at Leon.

As it turned out I wasn't the first to give Leon silly nicknames. Leon was immune to my obvious charms after years of friendship with Gareth, Lee was one of the kinder names he had in his arsenal. The most frequent, and so far my favourite was the phrase noodle brain. I don't why this is happening but it is

"I appreciate the offer but-" Leon shook his head. His brown hair hung over his forehead.

"But nothing." Gareth's hand landed on his shoulders. Looking at Gareth I swear, never had I seen kinder eyes. His smile was pure reassurance. He just enveloped himself in an atmosphere of trust, strength and kindness, vital qualities to see in an alpha. "Your parents miss you. Your family misses you."

Leon let out a long, heavy smile before smiling slightly. "I'll think about it."

"Bye rose."

"Are you okay?" Am I okay? Good question. Gulping I nodded. Almost fully convinced, my voice would have failed me if I tried to speak. "It's okay if you're not." Leon reassured as his arm made its way across my shoulders.

My eyes squeezed tightly closed. Be okay, I chanted to myself, be okay. But apparently chanting didn't work for me and within a single beat I felt a tear sliding down my face before I could even realize that I was crying.

When I looked at him Leon looked completely taken back. Shock doesn't cover it right now.

Despite that his eyes were soft. His hand glided its way up and down my bicep causing heat to grow where he touched and in the pit of my stomach.

"Hey," Leon whispered. The sound of his voice led to me being incapable of taking my eyes off of him. "You can still visit." Rather than speak, because I'm not sure it was possible for me to, I nodded.

He was right. It was silly for me to be upset right now. Perhaps I didn't know Rose well, and despite knowing that I didn't personally put her in a coma, I couldn't help thinking that I was somehow, at least in some way, responsible for her current state. All I wanted was to see her awake again, but if she wasn't here then I be able to see her wake up. I wouldn't be able to fix the mess I had made, and for some reason, this once I wanted to fix it.

Having Leon there to keep my head on straight was all I needed. For the next hour or so we sat on the grass not far from the pack house, side by side, his arm still draped across my shoulders and my head resting on his. We were still talking, just the small stuff, definitely nothing too deep. It was Leon's way of finding anything to keep my mind off Rose, which I knew, but it was sweet nonetheless.

We had reached the point of aimlessly bickering, something which I enjoyed between us. Again, nothing serious, just about the Avengers. You see, the fool next to me was arguing that Hawk Eye was a more valuable member of the team than black widow, which was bogus.

I laughed at his weak argument but before I could shoot down his theory my name was called. "Alex!" We both looked up to see Cassidy running towards us. Involuntarily I sighed. It was like our perfect bubble was popped. For the past hour it felt like it was only us. What a way to be reminded about reality... what a horrible way, but that wasn't all that made her appearance horrible. "My uncle just got here."