Chapter 22 "Alex, is your mate in this pack?"

It's been 3 weeks since the rogues left. There has been no sign of them and I have never been so antsy. Every day I have gotten a little less on edge but I wouldn't say I have stopped feeling that way. I still look over my shoulder a lot and avoid the dark when I'm alone. Basically I'm back to childhood.

On the bright side, life still isn't too bad. My guards have been less consistent and Leon has been able to sneak in to my room most nights. I have just been spraying a deadly amount of perfume to cancel out his scent but to be honest me almost suffocating is worth it. I can't believe I just said that.

There was a weight pressing on my stomach. I opened my eyes to see Leon's arm and I smiled involuntarily. I placed my hand on top of Leon's. I held it against my stomach as I rolled to press my back against front. I sighed in contentment.

In the short time we've spent together I can't deny that we have grown unbelievably close. Leon forgave me for ditching my shift in the infirmary, mostly because I made out with him. I couldn't help it! I would try defend myself further but that is seriously all I've got.

I felt Leon stirring behind me but to give him time to properly wake up I just sat and played with his fingers.

"Good morning." Leon whispered against my ear. I felt him press a kiss to my neck. His fingers ran my stomach. "Sleep well?" I nodded. "No more nightmares?" That's right. Leon knows about my nightmares, what they're about and how much they hurt me.

He is one of the few people that know about Dale, not that Leon is supposed to know.

"I told you already. Ever since I've been next to you there hasn't been a single one." I said that but it wasn't entirely true. The first few nights the nightmares were pretty severe, probably induced from all the stress I was under. The first night with Leon they weren't as bad but recently I have been able to get a good night's sleep. All thanks to Leon.

"Good. I should really get going."

I pout at his words as I roll over to face him. "Or we could just stay here. All day." I suggest. The corners of my pout upturn to a smile. In fact it's more of a smirk.

"As great as that sounds I can't. Cassidy is coming over in a few hours to get you ready for the big party tomorrow. Every alpha family is coming, including your uncle. Don't you want to get all sophisticated for your reunion?"

"No," I scoff as though Leon's proposal is insane, which it is. "I want to lay here forever." I sigh burying my face in his bare chest.

"Yeah well I want a car." Leon laughed.

"I could hotwire you one." Leon wraps his arms around me and holds me against his chest, even closer than what I had been. My leg crosses over Leon's. "We could do it, you know." I whisper. When I got stuck here I never thought I would say what I'm about to, especially not to one of the idiots who got in my way. "We could take off, get away from the pack, the alpha, and the rules. We could have our own life away from all of this. We could be happy."

Leon continues to stroke my back. "We could be happy here, we are happy here." I feel my heart clench at the thought of it.

"As much as I love this thing we have, there is no future here."

"Is it your mate?" I stay silent, cherishing the stroke of his fingers. It felt so good I never wanted to lose it. "Is he here?" Again, I did not speak. I didn't want to lie to him. Leon doesn't deserve that. I don't deserve him, but I couldn't help being selfish. "Alex, is your mate in this pack?"

I sat up. When I said this I could not look at him. "Yeah, he is." I heard Leon getting up and I saw him walking towards the bathroom. "I'm sorry. I should have told you sooner."