Chapter 31 "As of yet... That stands to be determined."

It took around 15 minutes of hopeless wandering but I finally found Cassidy. She sat in the kitchen on one of the stools with a mug in her hand. Some weird berry tea from what I could smell. Cassidy must have really liked it because she kept smiling at it with the odd laugh and shake of her head. Honestly I had never seen anyone look at tea like that in my entire life.

Her brown hair was tied up into a high ponytail, showing her entire face, not to mention the cheesiest of all smiles. "You had something to tell me?" I said smiling with the slightest hint of suspicion. I'm not saying that she isn't allowed to be happy but I can't fight my curiosity.

"Hello Alex." She smiled back with such grace. Her skin was glowing. Maybe this was part of that aura crap people talk about.

"It's good to see you smiling." Remarking, I leaned onto the worktop to stare across at her. "Why are you smiling?"

Rather than resorting to those big kid words she had been taught throughout school, Cassidy instead held up her hand. Her left hand. It was only then that I clocked onto her brand new piece of jewellery. A ring. It was a gleaming gold band with a flawless diamond that should have caught my eye before that second, especially considering the way the light seemed drawn to it.

Needless to say, I was pretty taken back by it. In my mind it was too early in our lives to be settling down and having a rock on your finger meant just that. Alarm bells went off in my head at the sight of it but then it dawned on me. It wasn't a ring on my finger. It wasn't my commitment. This was Cassidy and there was nothing she wanted more growing up than a mate. Well, perhaps one of those barbie dream house things, but even then she never held her Barbie without Ken.

Gasping, I took a loose hold of Cassidys hand. "Wow. Congratulations Cassidy." I sighed still shocked. "Your happily ever after doesn't seem to be a fairy tale anymore." I gave her a genuine smile, happy to see her happy.

Cassidy smiled, her expression giving me her thanks. I released her hand from my gentle grasp and instead pulled up a stool and sat looking at her. My arm strained as I stretched across the counter for an apple and bit a chunk out of it. Honestly, I was starving. After the recent drama I had barely taken the time to eat.

"So," Cas placed her mug aside and leant forward in a similar way to what I had been doing, "my wedding... should I expect to see you there when the time comes?"

"I wouldn't miss it." I said

"How about until then?"

With those words silence fell upon us and a fairly uncomfortable one at that.

I had been thinking. Since everything died down, once the battle ended, the only thing that had been on my mind was Rose. But now, Rose was going home. Yeah, the last few days I had spent a lot of time with Leon. He would force me to get some sleep or eat something and keep me company when he thought it wasn't time for me to be alone anymore. I was thankful for him.

Then there's Hunter. He's been off lately. We don't spend much time together or rather any time. He's an alpha and he's busy stabilising everything and securing the pack as well as working relations out with the other alphas. I'm not complaining. I like that I get to spend time just Leon and I but having not shifted in a while my wolf was getting antsy. Every five minutes when I wasn't with Rose I could feel her clawing at the surface. Today she was staying at bay. I guess she had her limits and those limits were grief.

Finally I decided on my truthful answer. "As of yet... That stands to be determined."

"How about your plus one?"