Chapter 29 "but we won"

Reality blurred back around me. My eyes remained closed but my mind was bombarded by scents and smells. The air was cool but not cold, despite that a thin blanket rested over my midriff and below with my top half propped up by a stack of pillows.

I was surprisingly comfy. However as my body caught up with my mind it became pestered by pins and needles throughout my body. I began to flex my fingers, clenching and unclenching only to discover that I squeezed something. They squeezed back holding tightly as though I would evaporate into the air at any moment.

I grumbled, allowing my eyes to finally yet slowly, drift open.

"Leon?" I grumbled. My throat was dry and rough making it difficult to speak causing my words to sound like croaks. Leon looked like crap as he blankly scrambled to grab his bottle of water that was next to him but had remained unopened. As he held it to my lips i eagerly gulped down as much of it as i could, feeling as though i had spent my life in the dessert without water.

Eventually after most of the bottles contents was gone I stopped desperately drinking and allowed Leon to take it away. Leon took a small sip and sat on the bed, just next to my legs.

I just stared at him thankful that he was okay. Smiling, I reached out a hand and my fingers smoothly gliding across his knuckles and quickly Leon gently grasped my hand. I sighed contently just staring at our joined hands.

"You scared the life out of me." Leon admitted.

I sighed giving his hand a slight squeeze. "I had to find Rose." AS I spoke her name I remembered how I left her. She was breathing, but her injuries were awful. "How is she?" My voice quaked as I asked. What if he told me I was too late? I dont know what I would do with myself other than fall apart.

"Resting."

"Is she okay?"

"Alex..." There was a sad look on his face as he had to force his eyes to stay connected with mine. "Rose is in a coma." My breath hitched. No, Rose didn't deserve to be in a coma. She deserved to be happy. I should have been faster. I should have wasted less time complaining and that way I could have defeated Dale sooner and saved Rose before... before this happened. "They said that it depends on the damage but she's strong enough although no one knows when she will wake up."

"I want to see her." I demanded. I had to do something, I couldn't just lay there whilst Rose was in a coma. I had to at least see her.

"Quite frankly Alex, you can try all you want but I am not letting you out of this bed." Leon told me off.

I pouted, grumbling under my breath. "That's not the first time I've heard that."

I'm not sure if he heard me but he didn't really let on, other than the faintest ghost of a smile that appeared on his face. It vanished almost as soon as it shone through. "I thought I was going to lose you. Do you understand that?" A tear ran down his face but it was swatted away before it passed his nose.

"Yeah, but we won." I smiled and finally he returned it. I sat forward, wrapping my arms around his waist. My cheek rested against his chest as I could feel his heartbeat. If im being honest, even with Leons hand gently stroking my back it was not the most romantic moment considering I had a needle in my hand and was awkwardly struggling against the restraining tube to hug Leon and then theres the heart monitor which definitely started beeping faster.

I buried my face in his chest in embarrassment but then lo and behold, the door opens and i feel the rooms atmosphere change entirely. I knew it was Hunter and only buried my face further into his chest. A part of me knew that Hunter would find out at some point just like Leon found out about Hunter.