The Beginning

(Y/n) POV

I allowed myself to be pushed alongside the wave of kig-yar and unggoy shuffling into position. To do what, I'm not too sure. The only thing Zex told me was there was going to be a heretic receiving punishment. At that, I can only assume it was because of his failure with the ring. Any other information before and after that has yet to be discovered. Not even his name is available for the public.

I huffed and tried to keep in pace with the familiar Kig-yar rushing to watch the spectacle. Knowing him, he probably watched numerous traitors be punished for what they have done. Meanwhile, I would be witnessing it for the first time. A passing unggoy trampled on my foot causing me to wince and push him to the side. Unfortunately, my actions would resort into a train reaction of more species bumping into each other and initiating a brawl.

"You just had to get yourself in trouble," Zex said from behind me and attempting to pull me away from the fight. "You're really starting to fit in with the rough rascals." He grinned and wrapped an arm around my shoulders to make sure I don't get caught in the mob. With much more ease, we finally managed to get close to a low bearing beam that would provide enough height for us to see. "Come on before it starts." He motioned and went up without waiting.

I rolled my eyes and started to scale the beam behind him. Although I'm outfitted in common kig-yar armor, there are claws at the end of the feet that will allow me to have an easier time climbing. So I mentally thanked my father for including that feature and sat beside my captain. "You rushed me out here to see divine punishment, but not who is receiving it and what his crimes were."

He rolled his head and nudged my shoulder, "you're acting like if you don't know you'll die. Luckily for you, we're good at getting information." He paused for dramatic effect and didn't resume until I glared him down. "There was a shipmaster that found a ring and allowed the humans to destroy it. Since religion is a big thing here, he is getting charged with heresy and sentenced to death."

"Is that all you know?" I asked and grunted when I only received a nod in return. "I guess the details won't matter once he is dead. Its a shame that the many secrets on the ring won't be uncovered now that its gone. How do you think the Hierarchs are going to handle this?"

"Beats me," he shrugged before perking up once he spotted a group walking towards the center. "Hey, its starting now." My thoughts were pushed to the back of my head as the group stood on the circular part. The prisoner in the middle with his hands bound above his head. Its a shame to see a high ranking Sangheili fail his duties and be reduced to torture and public humiliation.

I sighed and looked away for a second to spot a Jiralhanae staring up at me with a frown. A shiver went down my spine as I tried to look away but still felt his gaze. I know for a fact I won't be able to watch this comfortably with him looking at me like that. Letting out another sigh, I turned to look back at him and examine his features. If the amount of fur and facial fur he had didn't already suggest his high rank then it would be the additional armor.

Typically, Jiralhanae wore scarce armor but, he wore a second strap on the other side with metal plates covering his shoulder, chest and legs. One side of his leg had a metal plate covering over his knee while the other didn't. Though it was hard to see the color, I can believe it is a very dark shade of blue from the lights shining on it. What could be his problem for him to look at me like that. Like I am his target...

My thoughts were interrupted by a pained yell coming from the prisoner I nearly forgot about. It would be better for me to not worry about his presence and keep myself angering him. The last thing I needed was to be targeted by one of them.