Twelve

Axel

               The room full of people all made their way to the center of back yard, the group forms a circle with the parents to be in the middle with the blacked out balloon.  I spot Riley next to her parents right across from me, her black sheer cover up letting me see the white two piece that is modest but sexy at the same time. When she has come out of the house wearing that I almost choked on the pool water, I was swimming leisurely when she walked down the steps like a super model. She raced me in the pool twice, I won the first time and let her win the second time after she splashed me for winning. Also, because I was able to stare at her while she was ahead of me.

Marilyn was grinning ear to ear, her head on James's shoulder while they pose for a couple pics. He really got lucky with her, I hope if I ever do open myself up to the idea of relationships I can get lucky. Riley would make a beautiful wife, and - I need to stop. The most I can offer her is a friendship, speaking of,  I should set up a time to go on that hike.

"Okay, are you ready!" Riley yelled, her smile is so infection.

"you guys count down from 3," James said before taking his spot to the left.

"3!"

"2!"

"1!"

POP!

The world seemed to have gotten silent, I glanced at Riley, her hands were holding each other in front of her mouth. Then she threw her arms up and cheered, I looked back to the parents to be, Pink confetti covered them and the ground around us. Marilyn bent down and started crying, James is hugging her and crying. Rileys crying, everyone is crying. I walk over to them, patting James on the back I tell him congrats, he stands up and hugs me as Riley hugs Marilyn.

"Congrats buddy, you got this." I wrapped my arms around him, he hugs me back, "Thanks man, this whole this is crazy. Can't believe I'M HAVING A GIRL!" He bent back and yelled out that last part, people cheered, Marilyn detached from Riley and ran over, jumping one his with her legs around his waist.

I walk over to Riley and offer her a hug since everyone is hugging each other, also because I'd find any excuse to touch her. She stepped into my arms, much to my surprise, and wrapper her arms around my waist. My arms snaked around her shoulders, I felt her her tuck her head under my chin, her breath against my bare chest made goosebumps appear on my arms and legs. Her hands splayed on my back, she started to rub my back making shut my eyes. Her hair had dried a bit, but it was in a braid. I wanted to run my hands through it, instead I put my hand on her head and rubbed down ward. I kissed the top of her head, instinctively. She froze before removing her arms from around me and stepped back.

When I looked around us everyone went to the table to eat, she sped walked to the table joining Marilyn and James. James saved me a seat at his table which is the one next to Riley. I grabbed a big oval disposable plate, and filled it up with Green bean casserole, chicken fajita, tamale, corn, baked potatoes, and broccoli with cheddar cheese. Riley gets up when I sit to go get her food, I smile at everyone before digging in.

A couple minutes later Riley takes her seat, her leg leaned on mine, I playfully push mine against hers. She did it back before smiling down at her food, everyone else is engaged in conversations so I turn to Riley, "you wanna go sit under the tree?"

She looked at me, then around the table, then back at me before nodding, "sure."

After we sat now, we ate in comfortable silence for the remainder of the meal. Then I put our plates next to us before leaning back on the tree.

"So, when are you free this week?" I ask with the hike on my mind, I cross my ankles to get a bit more comfortable.

"Um, this Friday I'm free, why?" she folds her legs under her and lean her right shoulder on the tree so she was facing me.

"We could go hiking then kayaking."

Her hand flew up to fix her stray hairs that flew around when the wind kicked up, "that sounds great, ill send you the address to the trail, we could meet there."

"or, I could pick you up, save gas, carpooling is better for the environment." I raise my eyebrows in a, 'ya know you wanna' gesture.

"yeah that'll work , ill send you my address," she whips out her cell phone and quickly types something, I'm assuming she's sending me the address.

Just a she puts hers down, mine buzzes, I don't bother checking since I know its her, "Thanks, is it a tough trail?"

"No, its mediocre, its just good for some cardio, wear hiking boots if you have some, makes it easier."

I nodded, I have some boots, I wore them one time so I am glad to put them to use. "I have a pair ill wear. So let me ask you something, its been on my mind since I met you, you don't have to answer if you don't wanna, okay?"

She narrowed her eyes at me before nodding slowly, "Shoot."

"Why are you single still? and before you chew me out I don't mean it like you need a man I just mean that any man would be lucky to have you, you're beautiful and from what I can tell you're pretty amazing on the inside too."

She blushed a little which made her even more beautiful, "Um well, thank you but the guys I've met that are my age sill kinda wanna party and 'experience life'. I guess meaningless sex is what life about, "she laughed the end off, "I have pretty high expectations after my last relationship and have yet to find someone who fits the bill. Im not looking for someone to check every single item off just most or at least the important ones."

Now I'm curious, "Would you tell me those items on the list?"

"Important ones only, honesty, loyalty, openminded, not judgmental and mature." She shrugs her left shoulder after finishing. "Im also not focused on that right now, I want a career before I settle down."

"I like women who know what they want and what they deserve. I hope you find that person for you. Im glad your brother did."

We both look over at James and Marilyn who are sitting poolside with their legs in the water.

"me too." she whispered.