It's Just Fiction

Several hours and many champagne glasses later, the family had slowly scattered back into their own nests. Christian and Isabelle had returned home with their daughter, the kids made their way to whatever room called their attention, and Linda and Jens settled for the living room with. Agnetha and Björn had been last to leave the space that surrounded them with their family. Everything had been cleaned and what was left was the time to relax and reflect. Björn walked Agnetha beneath the light of the moon and the lights that lit the veranda. Just past it on the grass was a large lounger they laid on. They had not even felt time pass but it had been almost midnight by then. All the lights in the house had turned off, and all that remained was outdoor lights. For most of the time they laid silent and only exchanging few words here and there. There was tranquility, the weather was perfect. And bugs? There were no bugs to bother them, which made it all more enjoyable.

"Are you going to keep looking at it?" Björn asked quietly. His voice was deep as they were curled into one another and gazing at the stars... Well, in his case, mostly him. The night sky was clear, the atmosphere was warm, and they felt fuzzy with love and the magic happiness gave them. "I promise you, the ring is not going anywhere."

She was snuggled into his side for a long time, holding his hand and seeing the ring hug around his finger. It was so fitting and she had forgotten how much she missed it. He never did wear a ring with Lena, she recalled to herself now. That man was always hers. Even through those forty some years. He remained hers. Agnetha bit her lip and turned on her back with her left hand held up. He watched her note the details of her ring this time and was beyond happy to see that she loved it.

"Is it luck that we ended up with the same ring color?" she turned her head to see him.

"You only ever wear gold ones."

"Mm. Our rings were gold also." He held up his left hand and held hers as she curled her fingers with his and he hug her arm back down.

"Björn..." she studied his eyes as she thought to herself how to say it. "Do you think we would ever have found one another again? If it were not the way it happened? Do you think we'd have found our way back to each other?" He took a moment to answer as he thought.

"I would have made my way to you anyway. You've been with me for fifty years. You're never far from me. Maybe we spent some years apart..."

"More than forty years," she reminded him.

"Okay those forty years, but I still felt you with me. As if you were still mine, no one else's. Maybe I'm crazy but it's how it felt. I missed you but you also were never so far."

"I still felt you with me too."

"These recent years mostly, had me reflecting and realizing things and perhaps that brought me back to you. Everything in the past ten years slowly pushed me to you. The grandchildren, Copenhagen, interviews, your new music which I loved and was so proud of, the reunions. Working with you on new music. Everywhere I turn I'm bound to find you and I can't dream of it different, but it wasn't until the stories–"

"God, the fan fictions," she smiled about it. "They brought us together too."

"Yeah the stories heightened my feelings a lot." He chuckled about it as he spoke gently and brushed her hair back with his right hand over the side of her face. He had done it continuously while she watched him. "It made me realize what was missing from my life. It was you. Easily, it was you. I had everything, but not you and it no longer meant anything to go on without you."

"You lit up my life. We have a lot to thank them for," she whispered. "They have given us back so much. All these memories. All the new memories." She turned to face him again. "Love, Björn, they have given us love and we conquered with it."