Nothing's Missed

The breezy spring night was spent calmly as two lovers, two dogs, one cat— no pests, had sat bundled around the living room. There were layers of blankets on the ground spread, the coffee table pushed to the side and the fire lit. It was the weather for a fireplace and the right mood for nothing more but music and conversations.

They had been sitting this way for hours, talking about everything, about their lives that had come to change since the virus– Björn especially, who knew only how to travel for his works and projects. The largest disappointments were the closing of the Mamma Mia: The Party! restaurants, the museum, Slottsholmen's slow traffic, and most of all Pippi Longstocking at the Cirkus. They had talked about all of those concerns as Peppa and Ares surrounded their legs. Agnetha stroked Ares' back calmly as she tried to reassure Björn that everything should fall back into place when the time comes. The pandemic situation will fade out eventually and the norms of everyone should be on the road back to normal. Björn smiled as he already knew of it and stole a peck from her lips. He felt at ease whenever she took his worries away, when he would be aware that she would always be the person to break his troubles. His hand reached for his guitar and he watched her rest her cheek on her knuckles as she leaned against the couch and she listened to him play. Björn began with melodies they both loved from their past, and had sung to her quietly in the same worn voice she absolutely loved. She joined him whenever she felt like it and there was tranquility among their small circle beneath that roof.

The next morning had come soon enough. She was awakened by Björn, quite early, and she could only think the habit of his would never change. He snuggled into her from behind and put his lips to her ear with an arm that held her and lightly shaken her.

"Anna," he whispered. "Wake up."

"Two minutes."

"You asked me to wake you when I'm up and so I am. Don't start pouting." She remembered that she had asked him like he said, and there was no room for her to deny it.

"Why does morning come so soon?"

"To be fair we slept a little late." Agnetha turned over to face him tiredly. Her eyes were hardly opening, and he still had his closed.

"Maybe I should just stay here. You go. We won't have to take Peppa and Ares either."

"No. I want you to come with me," he said as he pulled her head towards him until she leaned into his neck. "I promise the interview is only an hour, maybe two by the time it's all wrapped up. I won't make you sit with Lena for longer than this."

"What?" she pulled back. "You won't do it at your apartment?"

"No, it's easier. I'll arrive ready."

"Björn, let me stay here. It's easier and just less of a hassle–"

"We can visit Ekerö." Her eyes fixed on his, seeing him confident that he could win the argument with his offer.

"You're the worst," she said. Björn rolled her until he was comfortably taken over by her. Her hands slid beneath his pillow, feeling the coolness of the pillow and mattress, and there became a smile spread on his lips.

"I am the best."

"Ah... who told you?"

"You did."

"Oh. Well, I take it back. You are the worst best person ever."

"I can live with this."

By late morning, the two had dressed and gotten ready together— Björn in a navy blue blazer, jeans and his sneakers. He sat waiting on Agnetha to finish, listening to her insist they should call the kids as he watched her put on mascara. He was seated on the edge of the bed seeing her close the tube and then gloss her lips. Björn walked down to the living room and sat as he waited on her, FaceTiming Christian in the meantime. The call opened and the one to greet Björn was not his son, but instead Nike. He chuckled and greeted her until Christian talked his daughter into handing over the phone.