A Week in Despair

Twenty-seven hours had passed since Agnetha last heard from Björn. She sat alone at 11 PM with only a box of vanilla ice cream to go with her thoughts. Was there going to be a solution for them? He hadn't called her. She hadn't called him. He's gone for a week now. She shouldn't dwell, Agnetha reminded herself. This was what she asked for. Perhaps the week he'll spend in London would give them time to think it over. It indeed was a minimal fight and they've exaggerated. She'd never admit. Not first, at least.

"So," Linda entered the quiet kitchen gently. She had her arms crossed as she noticed her mother was eating ice cream. God, it looked like a breakup, she thought. "You're going to just sit like this all the time now?"

"What's wrong with it? Is there something wrong in eating my ice cream?"

"Mama, when do you ever eat after 10 PM? And ice cream? It's just an argument. Is it hard to pick up the phone and apologize to each other?"

"Yes actually. Why would I do anything that would upset me when I could sit here and forget about it?" Linda picked up the carton and looked inside and brought her eyes to her mother's again.

"Lucky it isn't alcohol you turn to. You ate a quarter of it and we just opened it today!"

"What is your point?"

"My point is you had one fight with papa and it's like you're breaking up with him."

"Linda, we're not–"

"Mom, I know... I know you're in a relationship. Come on you don't have to hide it from us, you know that."

"Oh?" Agnetha took it in a surprise. "Did he tell you that?"

"No! Christian and I have known for a while. We've been waiting on you guys to say something." Agnetha laughed sarcastically to herself, thinking if anything could get worse it had just gotten worse. Well, she thought, it could be worse than this level of worse.

"Great," she mumbled. "And when did you know?"

"Mm," Linda thought for a moment. "Yep. Since papa's birthday. When you... 'left for Zermatt'." Agnetha covered her face.

"This is just getting better and better," she laughed in a panic.

"Mom, this is honestly so small. Why don't you call him? You know he's waiting on you."

"No he's not."

"He's gone back to you after— what— forty years, yes of course he wants to hear from you now."

"No. No he doesn't care about me. He flew to London. He's busy now. Why would he answer my phone call when he'll be getting one from Benny or Sandi about the show? That's important."

"Yes of course he cares about you! You see, this is what's driving him mad, mama. He's given you everything. How often do we see him now compared to the way it used to be? Why can't you fight for him, too, like he's done for you?"

"Did he talk to you? Are you talking for him?"

"No. No, I'm not," she sighed. "It really is wonderful that you are crazy about each other after such a long time. Don't waste more time fighting about it."

"When did you become so wise? When did it happen that you advise me more than I advise you?"

"Mm," she hugged her mother from behind. "Learned it from the best." She took the ice cream from her mother and though Agnetha protested, she settled. "Call him."

"Don't be absurd it's late."

"It's 11 here and 10 in London."

"Maybe he's asleep early."

"You and I know papa doesn't know what sleep is."

"So maybe he's working still with rehearsals."

"Call!" Linda watched her mother hesitate, but when Linda found the hint of refusal, she took initiative.

"Linda!" The ringing of the call was against Agnetha's ear now and her heart pounded viciously. But as she expected, there was no pick up. If anything this had bothered her more, so she waved Linda's arm back and stood from her stool. Her throat was forming a lump and she didn't like it at all. Linda listened to the default message before hanging up as she groaned to herself. She hoped she'd make things better.

Although the works truly were time consuming, Björn's mind never stayed far from thinking of Agnetha. He left on a bad note and he couldn't help but replay everything that was said until it was engraved into his mind. How could it get better from there? Eventually they'd come around but it was difficult to see them working it out when each one avoided the other. It was a disaster of plans that came crashing down. Agnetha pulled out of appearing and Mamma Mia, and now Frida did, too.

Concern piled for the week of his and Benny's return home. It was the intimate party with a couple of friends and colleagues, all joining together for a night of celebration for the success of London's opening. He huffed irritably remembering that he did not need another thing to worry about. Whatever was happening would be dealt with by the time he was back from London, but it wasn't meant.

"Still trouble?" Benny asked, with a light sympathetic smile.

"She won't talk to me," Björn responded in between sips of black coffee. "Logically– did I do something wrong by asking her that we should tell people we're a couple now? I mean, we can't be hiding forever."

"She's doing what is best and she is considering Lena first. You have to admire that she cares. You know most women like to go against each other."

"Yes, but for how long? I mean, at least our kids should know. They knew apparently for months and didn't tell us."

"Your kids are better at hiding your own secret than you two are," he laughed.

"Wish it didn't have to be like this. It gets tiring. Lena and I were dating quickly after Agnetha and I separated. Wouldn't you think it'd be the same? Truly I don't understand it."

"Give her time. What you're asking isn't simple. It'll change it all for your family, and when the world finds out, you'd be lucky if they ever shut up. Do you know how many fanpages exist of what they call Björnetha and BennyFrid?" Björn pushed up his glasses and let out a chuckle in amusement.

"Oh? And you know this well, it seems." Benny's face gave nothing away, but he curved his mouth.

"Twitter is a dangerous place. There are fanpages for everything."

"BennyFrid and Björnetha forever there too, huh?"

"Björlena, Benörklit and Mona-Lena, too."

"You're kidding."

"Really fucking wish I was." Benny stood from the table for two at the café in Stockholm.

"Where are you going?"

"Home. If I'm late, Mona will think I'm seeing someone already and we've only just arrived." Björn chuckled. "Wish me luck."

"Wish me the same."

Björn remained for a while considering yet another solution to talk to her, but there wasn't anything to try. It would be the same result, which increased his concern about Friday night's party.