The Start of a Party

Early Friday morning sprung in a few morning rays through the clouds that couldn't drift away. Björn looked out of his window making a strange analogy in his head that this sky and weather was just a mirrored reflection of what his days have been like. The past week he had gone through felt like hell and as fun and exciting it was to bring his work life in London, he hated every minute of his distress. Was she seriously not going to talk to him? He swallowed his pride and lifted the phone.

The ring sounded worse after each one. He grew impatient and expected it that she wouldn't answer. But God, had he hated the feeling of feeling neglected. Did she not miss him at all? Was she thinking of him? He hung up and dialed again, this time the home phone.

"Hey, Papa!"

"Hey, what's going on?" he asked casually, as any father would like to hear of his children. Though Christian babbled on about everything, easily going in depth with his day, Björn realized he had gotten himself stuck. He sighed and patiently listened, even smiled to what he heard, but there was on thing running through his mind.

"And that's not what you were calling about, is it?" Christian settled with a smile that triggered Björn's.

"No," he chuckled. "But my goodness, you're entertaining."

"What did you need?"

"Your mother. I want to speak to her and still she's not answering. Pass the phone, can you?"

"She isn't home..."

"She isn't?"

"No," he answered. "She went with M–"

"Who are you talking to?" Björn heard Agnetha's voice sound nearer.

"I— uh, no one. You're home!"

"Christian..." she gave him a look and she suddenly understood.

"Let me speak to her," she heard over speakerphone. Agnetha rolled her eyes and took the phone from her son.

"Hello?"

"Oh! Look who's finally speaking to me."

"Could I help you with something?"

"Yes, I called you. You didn't answer," he said. Agnetha took the home phone and walked to her bedroom to seek privacy, meanwhile shutting off the speaker.

"I was busy."

"So I hear. That quick you turn to see him. Really, baby, you've wasted no time."

"First, it's the first I meet him since the beginning of the summer. Coffee isn't a crime. Second, it is none of your business."

"Sure as hell my business. Last coffee date I saw you two have, your mouth was on his."

"Are you worried? Did you need something?"

"Yes," he answered to both questions, though she couldn't tell if it was a 'yes, I'm worried' answer. "I called because tonight is the party. We had planned to go together."

"No, I'm not going. And even if I was, I'm not going with you."

"What do you mean you're not going?
You can't—"

"Oh, I can't?"

"Agnetha, I'm begging you to stop being difficult."

"Goodbye, Björn." He couldn't change the look of his long face. She was serious. He cursed under his breath and to himself.

Fine, he thought. She wants to play, he'll play. He already knew the next move. He'd take the person who had the patience for him when he first began his projects.