The Things That Come Up

It was roughly one week away from Agnetha's birthday weekend, one that Björn had consistently brought up again and again to her. He wanted to do something special now that the stress of their lockdown was fading, and she was not one to decline it. She had been begging for an adventure before the chaos and now that she loosened up, all he could think of were ways to make it magical. There were restrictions on what they could do, and especially where they'd allow themselves to go. Each day he would give her a suggestion to consider, listening to her thoughts and gaining feedback on what she hoped for.

It wasn't until family albums were opened that ideas fed the two. Tilda had asked about Vallentuna, the home, and the memories, and judging by how much they had to say, it was one of the best few years of their lives when they were there. Everything was simple. She drew their attention to one picture with the tree, playfully wondering aloud if the tree still existed.

"You know I carved our names into the tree?" Björn said. "Who knows where that tree is now."

"Trees don't move unless you cut them down," Agnetha said with sarcasm. "Maybe it's still there."

"But the town has changed, from what I remember."

"It's only an hour away—"

"Less," he interrupted.

"Less. We should go up to Vallentuna and spend a day there." His smile grew as an idea had too.

"Why don't we go there for your birthday? Weekend trip." She gave him a face of light uncertainty as she thought to herself.

"No, it'll be strange. I'm always with the kids for my birthday."

"We can see if they can come."

"And if they can't?"

Björn winked to her. "Is it so bad? It'll be just us. I don't find a problem in that. Couple-Isolation, maybe." She gave him a face and threw a cushion at him from across the room while their kids and grankids laughed.

Björn continued to research on his MacBook as they laid in bed that night. Now possibilities were growing for him and he grew excited.

"What are you doing?" she asked as she moved the covers back and laid beside him.

"I think we should do it. Go to Vallentuna. I'm looking at places to stay. There's cabins, summer houses, and such."

"Doesn't it sound crazy? You're looking for a place 30 minutes away!" He laughed because it was as absurd as it sounded.

"So what?"

"And are they still open to people now? Is it even safe? Björn, maybe it is not so much of a good idea."

"There are houses that haven't even been used in months," he said as he pointed to the last stayed in date to show an example.

"You know the one who hears us would think Vallentuna is hours and hours away."

"We can make the most of something even if it's five minutes away." She closed her eyes and tried to sleep.

"What is there to do in Vallentuna?"

"Nothing special, but it's a small change of scenery. I thought you were ready to hunt down that tree?" She quickly rose up.

"You really want to?" she asked. "You want to find the tree?" He laughed at her enthusiasm.

"Yes, I want to find the tree." She smiled, set her head back to the pillow and suddenly could dream of it. She knew what she'd plan and let him do his part.

As promised Agnetha and Björn had planned their mini trip. Agnetha decided she'd pack their items so that when the next day came, it would be time for them to set out on a new adventure, as small as it is, that 35 minute drive. Björn took care of finding a rental house. It was isolated from the town, yet not so far away. Around it surrounded a few other houses. It would be like camping– minus the tent. It had a range of beautiful scenery and it was secluded. It was ideal for couples their age and completely reserved to relax among the outdoors.