ellie hadn't taken her eyes off of you all night. whether she was obvious about it or not, she didn't care. she only worried about finding the right time to approach you and apologize for her silence the other day. and, yet, no openings seemed to present themselves. she was stuck with a glass in her hand and the overwhelming urge to rip her ears off.

jesse she didn't mind. she could talk to him all day if she wanted to, but the girl on her right...she just wouldn't. shut. up. it didn't help that jesse kept entertaining the girl's conversations either.

"...and then i shot the damn thing straight through the forehead," the girl said, finishing off her story about how many infected she had taken out at one time. ellie barely heard her, too busy staring at the girl who had just waved off dina.

"dang," jesse mused, nodding his head as well. he didn't notice his ex until she was standing right in front of them.

dina wore a charming smile as a more upbeat song started playing over the speakers. "hey," she started, "i didn't think you guys would show."

jesse just offered a low hum.

"well, we're here aren't we?" ellie said, forcing a smile at the black-haired woman in front of her.

huffing out a laugh, dina took the drink from her hands, downing the liquid in one gulp. she shoved the glass at jesse. "come with me to get another drink."

jesse shot ellie a look that screamed either a 'help' or a 'what the fuck do i do?' the woman only dipped her chin at him with a more genuine smile. it faltered, though, when she realized who she was left with.

the girl cleared her throat before asking, "do you wanna go dance?" and setting her hand on a tattooed arm.

"actually-"

too busy trying to decide on how to let the girl down easy, ellie didn't notice your approaching figure.

"can i talk to you?"

it was a fight to get the question out, and your hands had fisted themselves by your side as you watched ellie tense up, her eyes sliding to meet yours.

she cleared her throat, turned back to the girl you assumed she was talking to previously, and peeled the fingers clinging to her shirt. "actually, i already have a dance partner. sorry."

with that, she reached for you, grabbing your wrist and pulling you toward the crowd of people couples.

your heart thundered in your ribs, chest rising and falling as your crush led you on, only stopping after she had dragged you to an open spot. she turned, grabbing your hands to force them around her neck, her own fingers finding purchase on your hips.

as you stepped closer, trying not to look so awkward or out of place, you pulled her body flush against yours. "what are you doing?" you breathed.

"dancing," she answered as if it was obvious. and you suppose it was, except that this wasn't just dancing. it felt like there was more intent behind her simple gesture. "what are you doing?"

your eyes flickered over her freckled face. "i'm trying to figure out why you're even here. you hate parties. and dancing."

ellie's nostrils flared as she said, "you said you wanted to talk to me. so, talk to me."

"i'm trying to," you mumbled, sliding your gaze from her to the rest of the room. it was then that you noticed the unusual amount of eyes on you both. choosing to ignore it, and instead focus on something else, you said, "why are you avoiding me?"