Chapter 37: Dew drops

Start from the beginning

Em gulped down but she held her chin high, "He did not scare me, Lucille." They stared at each other as Em fought hard not to shake. "He made me furious. I wish to see him crawling back home."

Lucille smiled discreetly, "That's what I want to hear."
***

The meal was amazing and the women had indulged the undisturbed evening. The Hotel served the best lamb and shrimps. Em even had a refill of sherry as she and Lucille had fallen unto a relaxed conversation.

Suddenly the doors opened and out came trotting two well-dressed gentlemen. Em was wiping her mouth when she realized she knew them.

"I hate to interrupt your evening ladies but may we join you?"

Lucille jumped from her seat and looked up. She didn't see them approach as she was seated facing the wall with her back to the door. "Vincent! Oh, how wonderful. You are here."

The Duke kissed his wife's hand and had pulled out a chair. A server came to give him a plate and cup. "No soup, I wish to devour some good lamb please young man."

The server nodded and turned to his companion. "And for you?"

"Wine and cheese, if you wouldn't mind?" Alexi looked around the table and Vincent simply nodded. "And a refill of sherry for the ladies."
***

Em was relieved to see Vincent had finally join them. She felt secured now that the man of the family would face Mr. Stanley and give him judgement. But she was uncertain what to feel about Alexi being there, too.

"Good of you to join us, Alexi." Lucille commented after their sherry glasses were refilled. "I have wondered if you had enjoyed your time at Hinley."

He smiled. "I most certainly have, Lucille. I must beg your pardon for leaving so soon. And truly sorry for having you indebted with my Aunt Marianne."

"It does not matter. Considering who you are, staying more than a day with us was enough. And Marianne adored her independence."

Vincent made an agreeing sound while Em remained mute. Her hand played with the table cloth underneath their wandering eyes. She felt silly sitting with them. They were notable people with wealth and status while she was a nobody. Even her dress looked shabby and out of style. She did not belong with them. Yet she had to endure being in their presence. Like a little child asked to join the table for adults.

The conversation went on and no one seemed to mind her there. Vincent finished his lamb and was now indulging on a slice of a lemon pie. Lucille was telling them about their short journey and Alexi made comments about the dreadful rain.

"Speaking of," Lucille stared at the window. The drapes had been pulled away and they could now see a bright moon had replaced the angry clouds. "It has finally let up. I should like to see the garden."

"The Spendell's is known for their garden but you could catch a cold, my dear." Vincent replied.

Lucille gave off a small laugh, "You worry too much." Then she eyed Em, "Perhaps you could fetch me my shawl?"

"Of course, your grace." She stood quite suddenly that she knocked off her glass. The contents spilled and stained the white napkins Alexi had set aside. "Oh dear me, I am so sorry.."

"Fret not, child. We are finished here," Vincent waved her worries away. "Go grab my wife her wrap and meet us in the lobby."

"Yes, your grace."

"And take Alexi with you." He said as she was just leaving hastily.

Em need no more coaxing, the prince was already on his feet. They left the dinning hall together but no words were exchanged.
***