》15

I'M SO SORRY FOR TAKING THIS UNTOLD BREAK OFF THIS BOOK.
I GOT TOO BUSY AND EVERYTHING WAS PRETTY HECTIC--
I'll be writing more and finishing this book asap tho, please enjoy and leave your feedback!

°•
"The fire that started had no smell, but its flames never stopped licking my skin. The smoke was suffocating, but colorless. It was an unseen danger that would remain hidden away until the trapped grew the guts to scream and cry for help."
《•°

June

My dad owns a law firm where Changwook has been pouring all his energy with undying dedication. So if one of his virtual sons could win an award for devotion, it would definitely be Changwook, even I would lose to him.

Just like I did before I graduated from high school, when I decided alone that running off was the only way out of a nightmare that disguised itself so carefully till it managed so explode and wreck my whole existence. Maybe I started going crazy from the start, maybe I kept leaving things out so that it all just kept happening till there was no way back.

I don't know. I don't remember how it happened, I just can't forget what has happened to me. I remember that I decided that my final resolve was to leave it all behind, let it all go, and try to live with myself.

But my Dad thought otherwise, and Changwook owned the same mindset too, of course. Objectively speaking, they were right. Every victim, let it be of abuse, harassment, or sexual assault, must see justice. Subjectively speaking, they were wrong. Because once the victim gives up their own rights, a case can't exist anymore.

That's who Lee Jooeun is, a case that didn't meet the criteria to become quite real. A case that chose to give up.

Maybe the lawyers in my family still hate me for it. It must've been hard, being the best of the best, and not being able to give that to the 'best existence' in their lives as dad had put it. Maybe Changwook still has the culprit's name on a piece of paper somewhere, maybe the files about his background check-up crowded some locked drawer.

But less than one year later, my mom's sickness happened. The almighty lawyers had someone else that they need to fight for. They had something else to break down about, and I had something else to help me go crazy. Seungho was the only one who was sane enough, focused enough to watch it happen.

Sitting with dad, after so many months, over breakfast with my brothers, felt like it doesn't count. I like the company, I like that we are all here and the pain that mom is no longer sitting on the fifth chair wasn't even the reason. I just forgot how it was when mom wasn't there to strike a conversation that photographer Seungho and Fashion Student June could participate in when two law figures had much more to talk about.

I nibble on my toast, sighing quietly when my dad and Changwook rile up about another political enigma. My exhale seems to have caught Seungho's dying fire because he turns to me with a cup of coffee against his mouth and raises his eyebrows in a very submissive, hopeless manner. I feel worse and blurt out on our behalf, "hey. This is not fair."

Seungho stares and drops his cup to the table very abruptly. My tone lacked, I sound like I was just asserting the unfairness, which to the two lawyers sounds pretty serious. "Excuse me?" Changwook turns to me, smiling threateningly, probably thinking I'm participating in their political discussion. That alone gives me enough reason to ignore him and turn to my dad, who is smiling at me, amused.