Chapter Twelve: Kite High

Mulai dari awal

"Like the song?"

Noah flushed.

"let's get coffee," Malik suggested. "I wanna be all ears."

The local diner and cafe was less busy than the early morning hours. There were no dreary 50s counters or red tables. A waitress had told Malik the place had been remodeled by the owner's hip son to resemble relaxed and popular coffee chains.

The crowd was also relaxed and not crazy with caffeine deprivation. There were people Malik knew from shared classes chilling and sipping iced coffee. A girl from the table nearest the counter was sucking on a frosty pink milkshake. It was piled high with whipping cream which she hadn't bothered to eat and it dipped further into the plastic cup with each hefty sip.

Noah was staring at her and dropped his gaze when Malik caught him.

She wasn't very pretty. Mousy hair and a patent leather jacket in a failed attempt to seem badass. Why would Noah check her out?

The guy in front of Malik picked up his order. The barista called next.

Noah stood beside Malik near the baked goods and sandwich display.

"Hi," the barista said."Are you, students?"

"Yeah," Malik fished his student ID out of his wallet.

The barista, who looked like a student herself, punched the info in.

"What would it be?"

"Cappuccino double shot." Malik had to watch his " What're you getting?" he asked Noah.

Noah's eyes flickered across the chalkboard where the café had written their flamboyant menu. The menu itself had the normal stuff with a low to medium high-calorie count to Instagram-worthy drinks like the Tipsy Unicorn, Purple Haze, and Danny Gazeebo.

Noah shook his head, "I'm okay."

"It's on me," Malik said."You took us out last time."

Noah mumbled something incomprehensible.

"What?"

"I..don't really like coffee." Noah raised his voice to an audible notch.

"You sure? They're good."

Noah said nothing and the barista cleared her throat. A line was forming behind them and while Malik didn't give a toss, he could see Noah was not going to budge and accept the invitation.

Malik scratched his brow.

"Just the cappuccino," he said to the barista who handed the card back.

Noah was staring again at the mousy girl, she was twirling the straw in the almost empty cup. Except Malik followed his gaze more closely. It wasn't directed at her but on the table and her drink.

"Can I have what she is having?" he said to the barista.

"Strawberry milkshake?" She asked.

Malik looked at Noah who flushed scarlet.

"No. I really don't want anything."

"Yeah." Malik told the barista," Strawberry."

***

They chose a two-seater table. Noah looked around the café and had to think for a few minutes when Malik asked him where he wanted to sit. It was amusing to watch Noah check the exit door, the bathroom, and the order-taking counter. He finally decided on the sofa and Malik took the chair opposite, placing the tray so the coffee was in front of him. The strawberry shake was piled high with whipped cream and dusted cocoa powder.