Chapter 13

I look through the peephole of my door before I open it and see Sam, Kendall, and Scott. I swing open the door.

"Hey! What are you guys doing here?"

Sam holds up a cardboard holder full of coffee, Kendall holds up a to-go bag, and Scott is holding flowers.

Sam says, "We hope you'll invite us to have breakfast with you."

I step aside. "Of course, please come in."

Kendall and Sam head into the dining area. Scott hands me my beautiful bouquet. He hugs me tightly and kisses the top of my head. I realize this day is as difficult for him as it is for me. We hold each other for several minutes, giving each other the strength to get through this day. I hear a grumbling sound.

I lean back and look at Scott. "Was that your stomach growling?"

"Maybe..."

I pat his stomach. "Come on, let's fill up that angry belly."

He laughs, and we meet Kendall and Sam in the dining area.

Tears well up in my eyes. "Thank you so much for doing this for me. You guys are the best."

"We are," Sam says smugly.

"Damn, Sam. Cocky much?" I respond.

He smiles and wiggles his eyebrows. I roll my eyes at him and laugh. "You're so ridiculous."

"We all took the day off together to hang out with you," Kendall informs me.

What!?

"You guys didn't have to do that," I say as tears fill my eyes again.

"We know." Scott smiles.

"But we wanted to anyway," Sam adds.

I grin at my beautiful friends. "I seriously have the best friends in the world!"

We finish up breakfast.

"So, are we just hanging here, or do you have other plans?" I ask.

"Well, you have Scott and me till 3:00 when we have to pick up Benny from my mom's, and Sam here is taking over from there," Kendall announces.

I smile at Sam. "Night duty, huh?"

Sam shrugs. "What can I say? I pulled the short straw."

Everyone laughs at Sam's comment.

"We dodged a bullet there, right, Ken?" Scott teases.

"Absolutely," Kendall agrees.

I pout. "Okay, I would like to officially withdraw my previous statement regarding you three being the best friends in the world."

Sam says, "Nope!"

"Too late," Scott adds.

"No, take backsies," Kendall adds.

"Take backsies? Is that even a word?" I laugh.

"It is now," she retorts.

Scott puts his hand on his chin. "Hmm... something's wrong here! Help me out, gang."

Kendall adds, "Oh, yeah... something, or shall I say someone is out of place."

"I see absolutely nothing wrong. Come on, let's get going." Sam starts walking towards the door.

"Wait!" I exclaim.

"What? Let's go," insists.

"I'm in my pajamas," I state the obvious.