Chapter 6

It's been two months since finding out that Kendall was pregnant. I've only been waving from a distance to Dr. Daniels at the hospital. Kendall has been working on her doctor appointments around Scott's schedule, so I haven't returned to Dr. Daniels' office since that first appointment.

Today, I invited Scott and Kendall over for dinner. We rarely had a day off together, and my parents were out for a business dinner.

I was pulling the lasagna out of the oven when the doorbell rang. "Coming!" I open the door.

Kendall comes in first. "Hey, Mal!"

Then Scott said, "Thank you for the invite, Mallory."

"Of course." I smile at my friends.

"I brought cheesecake!" Kendall proclaims.

I lick my lips. "Strawberry?"

"Is there another flavor?" She side-eyes me.

"Not in my world," I say, and Kendall nods in agreement.

"I just pulled dinner out of the oven." They follow me to the dining room.

"Drinks?" I ask.

Scott replies, "Beer, please."

Kendall responds, "Lemonade if you have it."

"I do! Have a seat, and I'll be right back." I get their drinks and mine, then place them on the table.

I go back to get the lasagna when Scott appears behind me. "Let me get that."

"Thank you!" I grab the garlic bread and salad, then follow Scott back to the table.

"This smells amazing, Mallory," Scott compliments me.

"It sure does! I'll try to leave you some," Kendall says as she places a healthy portion on her plate.

Scott and I both raise our eyebrows at her.

"What? This boy can eat!"

We laugh, and it's like old times, almost. I look over at the empty chair and sigh.

"We have news!" Kendall interrupts my thoughts.

"Really? What?" I ask.

"We set a date for the wedding!" she proclaims excitedly.

"You did?" I clap my hands.

"We did," Scott adds, smiling.

"That's amazing. When? I'll need to make sure to take off work."

"Well, we don't want to wait till Baby Boy is born," she says as Scott places his hand over Kendall's.

"You're six months pregnant, and Baby Boy will be here in three months," I say, confused.

Scott announces, "That's why we are getting married this weekend."

"This weekend!?" I shout, surprised as hell.

"Yes. It's going to be very small. Just you and my parents. We don't want to wait," Kendall explains.

I nod in understanding. "I get it.

Scott looks at me. "Are you still on second shift?"

"Yes. I don't see that changing anytime soon," I sigh.

Kendall smiles. "Great. We're going to the Justice of the Peace on Saturday at 11:00, then having lunch at Ay! Jalisco Mexican Cafe. After Baby Boy comes, we'll have a large reception."

"I like it." I smile back.

"I knew you would," she retorts.

"Well, I have something that I wanted to talk to you about, too!" I confess.