Chapter 9

Sam and I are spending our dinner break together. It's become a fairly regular thing.

"So you finished up Baby Boy's room?" Sam asks before taking a bite of his sandwich.

I nod. "Yeah. It looks adorable. It is sky blue with clouds painted on the ceiling and around the top of the wall. Near the floor are grass and all types of animals."

As promised, Sam helped move Kendall and Scott into their new home. I've been there every spare moment, helping Scott paint the baby's room.

"That does sound adorable." His eyes crinkled as he smiled.

After swallowing what's in my mouth, I drink before responding, "It is, but you know Kendall. Even though she could not help paint, it didn't stop her from popping her head in every ten minutes to advise us of where we missed spots or to critique the animals Scott drew on the wall and painted. Then the three of us finished setting up the nursery with all the fun baby gifts she got from her baby shower before I came into work today."

"I bet that you are exhausted, Mallory."

"I am. I could sleep for a week."

Sam's phone buzzes, and he looks down to check the message. Just then, mine starts ringing.

It's Scott. "Hey Scott, I just left there three hours ago. Do you miss me already?"

"Mallory," Scott sounds scared and excited at the same time.

"It's Kendall. Her water just broke. We're heading to the hospital right now!"

Sam and our eyes meet. "Scott?"

I shake my head, yes.

Sam stands up and collects the rest of his uneaten dinner. "Tell him that I'm heading to the ER. Have him bring Kendall there."

"Is that Doc?" Scott asks.

"Yes."

"I heard him. I will head right to the ER." I hear Kendall in the background scream in pain.

"You're going to be there? Right, Mallory?" Scott asks with concern.

I assure him, "I wouldn't miss it for the world!"

"Thank God!" Scott says with relief. "We'll be there in five."

Scott quickly hangs up. I texted Kathy to let her know the news. We had already put a plan together in case Kendall went into labor while I was at work. After I send the text, I practically run to the emergency room and see Sam standing there with a clipboard. I know that the doctors don't usually stand there and wait for a patient to show up. They let the nurses do their job and see them in their assigned ER room. My heart melts just a little.

I walk over to him. "Hey."

He looks up at me from the clipboard and smiles at me. "Hey."

"So, do you give all of your patients the royal treatment?" I grin.

He blushes, then smirks at me. "Only my friend's good friends that are now my good friends."

I laugh. "Now, that was a mouthful!"

"You're telling me!" He winks.

Just then, the door opens, and we turn to see Scott running in. He takes a deep breath when he sees Sam and me.

Scott's out of breath. "Thank goodness you're both here. Can someone help me get Kendall from the car? I'm parked right outside."

"I'll get the wheelchair." I quickly rush over to the wheelchairs and grab one.