Chapter 15

After the class had cleared out, I walked up to the teacher with Shaun following behind me. When we got to the table, he stood opposite me and just as always, looked at everything but me.

"Laura, Shaun.....these are the results for your essay. Take a look." She said with the most straight face I had ever seen on her.

Honestly, if we had failed (not that I expected to pass the assignment) but if we had failed it would have been all goofy's fault. So before I looked at the paper, I looked up at him and he looked back but only for a second.

When I opened the paper and looked through, I was way too ashamed to look up at either the teacher or goofy so I said the only thing I could think of so Ms. Sanyu wouldn't think I'm rude.

"Thank you Ms. Sanyu. Can I leave now? I have soccer practice." She smiled.

"Sure but you are to present your essay next Friday." I nodded, turned on my heel and sped out of class grabbing my bag on the way out without looking at either of them.

Practice ended rather quickly, possibly because I wasn't really paying attention. The ball almost hit me thrice and coach Rodgers yelled at me at least twice but thoughts about the assignment had clouded my mind. I just wanted to go home and sleep the shame away. How was I meant to face goofy after that?!

"Great work today team!" Coach yelled from the side of the field after practice ended, "Danlam, see me now! The rest of you are dismissed."

I already knew what this was about. I didn't even need to ask and if I were to continue playing like that, I probably would end up on the bench for my first match.

"What's going on with you today? Despite you never having played soccer before I see that you have potential. Get your head in the game, okay?" She said with a concerned look and I nodded in response.

"Okay. Go on home." She said patting my shoulder.

Even during my walk out of school, the assignment was all I could think about. I was so distracted, I couldn't hear the person yelling my name as I entered the school building heading towards the exit until Alex tapped me.

"You're really out of it bro. That guy's been calling you for like ever." She said, "Have a nice weekend." Was the last thing she said before jogging down the hallway then I turned to see the guy who was calling me.

It was goofy running to catch up to me at the entrance of the building from the field. I turned and walked faster trying to make sure he didn't catch up to me. He was the last person I wanted to see.

"Laura! Wait up."

"Leave me alone, Shaun!" I yelled back without looking back or slowing down but a hand grabbed my wrist before I could turn the corner of the hallway and spun me around suddenly.

"What the hell is wrong with you?!" I yelled a bit louder than before at him, violently pulled my hand out of his grip and turned around to start walking away again. I couldn't look at him.

"Please wait." He said quietly.

"What do you want?! I really don't want to talk to you so please stop following me." I said and started walking away again but he grabbed my wrist.

"QUIT GRABBING ME! What's your problem?!" I barked so loudly whoever was still in the school building must have heard.

"Please just listen to me for a second." He said pleading and I sighed heavily.

"Fine. You have thirty seconds." I said looking at my watch. I was not going to look at him no matter what.

"Look, I'm sorry for what I said back at my house. I didn't mean it okay? I didn't mean for it to go that far and the essay was meant to be joint effort so I put your opinion as well but if it displeased you then I'm sorry still." He said while trying to catch his breath.