(PART II) 72 : A Second Dose of Regrets

After that day, the days were going quite good. But they could only be good for so long. Jason and Alyssa had gotten more comfortable around each other - almost like old times. But there was something very different in the atmosphere around them. Something that made things all awkward at times, and normal at other times. And it refused to go away. Maybe because they need both matured in their own ways, and it could never fully be like the old times.

But most importantly, they were forced to be very discreet in public locations. Moreover, Jason was forced to wear his mask, preventing Alyssa from reading his true emotions - and thus,she was often stripped off of her biggest tool in understanding him.

It was the twelfth day since they met again. That day, Jason was the first to approach her as soon as he came to the shooting location, and she smiled happily. Maybe they were getting even closer than before. But the news that he gave her, was shocking enough to get rid of all thoughts of their current situation. "Jaden has been taken to the hospital."

Alyssa's eyes widened, as fear crept in. She had not talked to Jaden in five years, just like she hadn't contacted anyone from Mel's Town. But she still cared for them; too much.

The old Alyssa would have had a panic attack by now, but now she was able to maintain her composure.

"What happened?" she asked, lowering her voice and resisting the urge to pull the mask off his face. The presence of the two workers in the cafe wqs preventing her from doing so.

"Accident," Jason stated, fear and unstability in his voice.

"Where is he now?" Alyssa questioned hurriedly.

"Chicago on business," Jason said, hesitating a little before he continued to say - "I will be leaving tonight. We might have to put this off. My dad's private jet is on its way to LA right now."

Alyssa considered his words for a moment, her fear for Jaden increasing. Was it serious enough for Jason to consider breaching their thirty day contract? It must be so. "Jas - I mean, AJ - take me along, please. I want to meet Jaden too. I'm worried."

Surprisingly enough, Jason's answer was instant. "Okay."

Maybe - just maybe - Jason knew Alyssa well enough to have already expected her answer.

He continued, "We'll be going to the airport directly from here. There's no time to pack a luggage. Do you have anything to help you disguise yourself?"

Alyssa thought for a second. "Uhm, sunglasses?"

Jason nodded. "That'll do. Come on, we should get back to shooting before Nicole goes mad."

Despite his attempt to lighten the atmosphere, it was graver than ever before.

By the time evening came, Alyssa and Jason had explained their situation to their respective managers. Considering that it was a unanimous decision, their managers were both supportive and decide to edit some of the clauses in the contract while they were away. After taking care of the larger details, Jason and Alyssa got into Dave's care, which would take them to the airport.

On the way,Jason filled Alyssa in on the details of the accident, while he pulled off his mask. He wouldn't need any disguise since AJ himself was a facade. He dug around his supplies bag for some time, before pulling out a scarf. He threw it over Alyssa's head, securing it to cover her mouth and part of her cheeks. Alyssa's heartbeat increased. This incident had brought to light a new change I'm Jason's character - somehow, he seemed more mature, decisive and driven than he had been in his younger days.

All the while, Jason was telling her about Jaden. Apparantly, he had moved to Chicago the same time Jason left for LA. He had graduated from a medical college there and was a neurologist. He had been going back home from the hospital when he was hit by a bulk car. Currently, his life was hanging by a string.

The more Jason spoke, the more Alyssa's heart hurt. She would've known all of these herself if she hadn't been stupid enough to cut off all contact after Jason's disappearance.