52 : Calling Love

"Crazy, huh?" Karson murmured, popping a candy into his mouth as he laid down on Alyssa's bed, his hands outstretched like a modern version of Christ.

"You're telling me," Alyssa cried, frowning deeply. "I'm still in shock. Can you believe it?! The Playing Demon turns out to be my goofy and innocent god-father who had the misfortune of loving the wrong person. It's so...weird how unable I am to totally hate him. I mean, I can't forgive him, sure. But hate him? I am not sure if I can do that."

"Well," Karson replied, laughing. "At least you had bitten him and spit on him once."

Alyssa glowered that him, feeling a slight blush rising to her cheeks. "You better stop teasing me, or I'll bite you."

Suddenly, her phone rang up. It was Jason again. Alyssa's heart thudded. No matter how much she tried to deny, she missed him. A lot.

Karson peeked into her phone, groaning when he saw the contact name.

"Karson, go away!" Alyssa hissed, swatting him. She wouldn't ignore Jason anymore. She couldn't. He had gotten enough of it and the fact that he was still calling her made her heart clench.

"Why?" Karson retorted. "So you can talk to that murderous old bat?"

"Yes!" Alyssa hissed again, annoyed at him. "Before I start love-talking in front of you. Don't you have school tomorrow?"

Grumbling, Karson went out of the room and Alyssa immediately out the phone to her ears. Pressing the green button, she softly breathed out, "Hey."

There was a momentary silence from the other end of the line. Eventually, Jason's voice, sounding rather thick and heavy,could be heard. "Alyssa, I missed you. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry," he murmured, his voice cracking at the end.

"Jason, it's okay. I'm sorry too. I shouldn't have ignored or judged you without knowing the whole story."

"Don't," he sighed. "To be honest, the truth isn't something I can tell you. Though believe me, I would've if I could."

Alyssa frowned. This was not going well at all. She had picked up his call, hoping for an explanation regarding what had happened. If Jason expected her to stay with him, he had to stop hiding things of importance from her. Just why couldn't he stop being so insecure? Alyssa couldn't decide whether to pity him or be annoyed. "Fine," she said coolly. "Call me when you change your mind."

"No, Alyssa. Wait," Jason almost growled animalistically. "Don't hang up. Look, try to understand. Can't you remember how unwilling you had been to reveal your past to me? Give me some time, please!"

Alyssa winced, suddenly realising how hypocritical she was being. Of course he would be unwilling, and it was not his fault. She should've understood that better than anyone else, but here she was, not being a tad bit understanding. She blinked, cursing her thoughtlessness.

"Agh, I'm sorry. Just tell me when you're ready," she said, rubbing her head in a tired manner. "But... I just want you to know that I sometimes act instinctively and often wrongly, like I did just seconds ago. But at the end of the day, I'll always be with you."

"I know," Jason softly murmured. "Headstrong, that's one fitting word."

"Look who's speaking," she giggled.

Jason laughed for a moment, before his voice going quiet and soft again. "Alyssa, promise me one thing. I can't have a single peaceful moment until you do." He sounded rather depressed, to Alyssa's surprise.

"What is it?" she prodded.

"Don't forget about me," he said, so softly that she had to strain her ears to hear him.

"Jason," she drawled, shaking her head. "Why would I forget you?"

"I'm serious, Alyssa. Don't forget about my feelings for you. I mean, you're friendly and pretty and so much more, so I'm sure boys will be after you. And -"

"Jason," Alyssa moaned, stifling a very rude groan, as she clenched her fists. "If you finish that sentence, I'll cuff you. I'm serious."

"Ah, okay," he grumbled softly. "So change of topic. How's your life in New York?"

"Good," Alyssa replied, deciding it best not to mention Jacob Quentin to him. There could never be anything between them again, but considering Jason's insecurity, Alyssa was sure he would read more into the matter than there was. "I'm going out on a tour tomorrow," she continued, choosing a safer topic.

"With whom? Karson?" he asked, sounding curious.

"Someone called Penny, actually. Fiona's assistant."

"You mean Penny Ravena?"

Alyssa gaped, surprise laced in her tone when she finally said, "You know her?!"

"Ah no," Jason replied nervously. "Not personally. I'd only seen her once. Did you forget? My dad and your mother are friends, after all."

"Right," Alyssa said, rolling her eyes. "What about your mom?"

Suddenly, Jason went dead silent. Alyssa pulled the phone from her ear to see if it was still connected. Then Jason abruptly burst loudly with a "Don't talk about her!"

Alyssa was shocked. That was quite some reaction he had. She sensed a much deeper story behind it. Concern and worry was laced in her tone as she asked him, "You okay?"

"Yeah," he said, breathing loudly and deeply. "Let's talk about something else. School then. Which school are you going to?"

Ah. Alyssa blinked. The topic of the fastest tactless topic changer of the century definitely goes to Jason Rios then. Nevertheless, she decided to stay silent on the matter. "I'm going to Oakwood Travinston High."

Jason made a weird, throaty sound at that. "You're going to... Oakwood. Wow."

"You sound surprised. What's so special about Oakwood?" Alyssa asked, confused. Sure, it was a prestigious school but she didn't think that would be a cause of surprise for Jason of all other people.

"No, nothing special," he hastily said. Alyssa narrowed her eyes though he couldn't see her. Why did she have a feeling that he was lying about it?

A/N : Wow another day gone. I've been feeling so lazy these last few days sigh. My grandma died and after that, I kinda lost motivation for some time, before I pulled myself back together again. So yeah... Now's the time for the pulling back to show it's effect.