26: Fatal Words

Alyssa had come in Mia's car, so she didn't have a ride back to the hostel. But Jason offered to drive her. And she accepted.

He put on the warmer and revved up the car.

Eventually, Alyssa decided to speak up. "You know, I'd never really answered you that day, but I do think that we could be friends."

From the corner of her eyes, she saw a hint of a smile in Jason's lips, but he didn't say anything.

It started drizzling, which soon turned to a full downpour. Thunder rumbled overhead and Jason had to speed down. But soon enough, it was impossible to drive - unless they wanted an accident, of course. Jason parked her car at the side of the street.

"Well, let's hope it stops soon," Alyssa whispered, hugging herself.

"Yeah," he replied distantly. He seemed to be deep in some other thought, staring into the distance.

"Alyssa," he said. She liked the way he spoke her name, with his Spanish accent. He continued, "You know, the first time I heard you singing, I was pretty shocked. I could almost touch all the feelings radiating off your song. It was as if your voice spoke to me. Strange, isn't' it?"

Alyssa couldn't help feel a little bit shocked. Was he saying he liked her singing? "You speak like someone who really understands music.

"I kind of wish to be a singer, I guess." He smiled at his own words. Alyssa continued staring. All her opinions about Jason Rios were changing so swiftly and thoroughly. He wanted to be a singer - Alyssa didn't know why she was so shocked. Had she really been too swift to judge him?

Through the pitter-patter of the rain, which was coinciding with her heartbeat, Alyssa whispered, "I guess I share your dreams.

And it gave her immense pleasure to realize that, inadvertently, she had spoken in present tense.

Alyssa felt happy – really happy. Unfortunately, that happiness did not last for long.

Out of the blue, Jason asked her, "Do you like Karson?"

"As a friend – I do. As anything more – I really have no idea. What I feel when I'm with him is something I'd never felt before. I'm confused." She didn't know why she confessing all this to Jason, but she felt like he could be trusted. He didn't seem that bad now that she was coming to know him.

Jason's face, however, darkened at her words. With an emotionless tone, he said, "You'll figure it out, alright. Just kiss him, who don't you? You'll make Magellan a nice slut." The last sentence was nothing more than a sneer.

Alyssa paled at his words. Her eyes watered. her chest was hurting at his words. What was wrong with him? Did she really seem like a slut to him? Honestly, she regretted trusting him.

"Well, guess what? Just rot in hell! I do not wish to be anywhere near one meter of you anymore!" she said, her voice coming out as strangled.

She rushed out of the car in the drenching rain and slammed shut the door of the car. Tears mixed with the salty rain. She squinted. Perhaps she should just drown in the rain. Who needed her, after all? She should do the world a favour and just die. Yes, that would help everyone...

A slut, Jason had called her. That had come out of nowhere. And he wasn't even coming after her.

Alyssa stomped on the sloshing puddles of rain. Her dress was sticking to her body uncomfortably. She started running. She ran and ran, until she didn't remember why she was running; until everything was a blur around her.

Water, world, reality and dream all mixed together. She ran until she felt a sharp impact on her body. Her forehead felt hot, and the ground - the wet, slushy ground - came up to meet her and everything became still.

Everything became dark.