62 : The Promised Future

As Alyssa lay on her bed, unable to sleep, the voices from the room next door easily reached her ears. 

It was Karson and Fiona. And they were arguing. 

Alyssa laid on her back, listening to them talk, her heart dropping and rising from sentence to sentence.

"What did you talk to him about?  I hope you didn't scare him away," Fiona exclaimed quite sternly.

Karson huffed in frustration, before retorting, "As if he'd be scared of me! We've already fought once before, and he's got skills. Though I'm better, of course!"

Alyssa could almost smell the smugness creeping into his voice at that.

Karson continued, "But that's not the main point. I just told him about what the doctor said. He's her boyfriend, after all. He needs to learn."

Fiona replied so softly that Alyssa almost had to strain her ears to hear her. "Kay-kay, I understand you worrying about her but I don't think he would hurt her. Artists are good at reading emotions and it's obvious they love each other. Not to mention, I think we can agree on the fact that his coming to New York wasn't a mere coincidence."

"I know!" Karson groaned, his frustration returning. "I know it all! But, is that enough? Jason is unstable, I know that, she knows that, and he himself knows that! At a point of time, Alyssa and Jason could have been together with not much issues, but now, she's weak. He won't be able to keep her safe! He gets angry too easily, and Alyssa must be kept stress free! Try to understand, please, mom!"

"That's enough, Kay-kay." Fiona's voice was shockingly cold. "Perfection doesn't make a relationship. If everything were to be stable in love, it wouldn't be love anymore. It would be convenience. I'm sure they'll end up fine if they are meant to be. So don't worry."

Alyssa smiled. At that moment, she felt more grateful to Fiona than she had ever done before.

Now, to contact Jason and find out how the hell he had managed to come to New York on such short notice.

***

Unfortunately for Alyssa, Jason's phone was switched off.

So she decided to call Brodey instead. She'd promised him she would, after all. And something told her... It must be important.

"Hey Brodey!" Alyssa said, forcing a cheerful tone.

Brodey's reply was sad and his voice sounded worried, "Alyssa, long time no talk."

Alyssa frowned. Alright, something was definitely wrong.

She decided to cut straight to the point. "What is it?"

"Well," he muttered, hesitating for a long time. "Um, have you heard from your friends?"

"Uh," she started in confusion as well as anticipation. "I did talk to them this very afternoon."

"Oh," he replied blankly. "What did they say?"

Despite Alyssa's confusion, she decided to humor his questions. He would tell her what it was when he was ready, wouldn't he? She said, "Well, I got I'll so they were just asking me how I was and all that."

"Wait, you were I'll?" he inquired, suddenly sounding sharp. "What happened?"

Alyssa rolled her eyes. Why must all her friends worry so much? Honestly, it was uncomfortable. "Calm down," she drawled out. "I was just stressed out."

"Ah, I see," Brodey sounded hesitant. Nevertheless, he continued. "So, something's popped up. New developments."

Alyssa curiosity was immediately peaked. "What is it?" she gushed, impatient to hear the rest.

"Okay, I need you to keep in mind certain things before I speak. You need to keep calm, no matter what. And you need to keep in mind that what's in the past stays in the past. That cannot be changed. Are we clear?" He demanded.

On Alyssa's affirmation, Brodey told her. As the truth behind Tanya's murder was finally out.

It was Majorica Brown, Tanya's very own sister. The very sister who had cried and screamed for justice the day she had been killed; the very sister who had put the epitaph "Beloved Princess" on the grave of a mass proclaimed Queen.

Her jealous, psychotic sister.

To say that Alyssa was shocked would have been an understatement. She was cold with disbelief - Majorica was the last person she had expected to be the murderer, despite her odd behaviour later.

Not to mention - Brodey had been dating her.

"How did you find out?" she whispered into the phone cautiously.

Brodey sighed on the other end of the line. "Majorica confessed. She had killed Tanya, but memories of the same death had driven her even more insane than she already was. Crazy. I cannot believe this myself, Liz. I loved her," he moaned, his voice breaking as he proclaimed his feelings.

Hatred and jealousy did drive people insane. But didn't love do the same?

Majorica and Brodey were living example, with a dead Tanya thrown into the mix.

Alyssa couldn't bring herself to tell him that it was okay. All she could do was listen to him talk, her heart hurting for not only Brodey, but Tanya and strangely enough, Majorica too.

To be honest, the news didn't affect Alyssa as much as she would have expected. Perhaps, time did heal wounds. Time had numbed the shock and pain she had felt, and it was surprisingly easy to separate emotions from facts.

Consequent calls from her friends also revealed to Alyssa the same things Brodey had told her, but in lesser details.

At the end of the day, Alyssa was utterly exhausted.

True. Alyssa wasn't much affected by the news, but there remained a complicated feeling in her chest. Fresh reveals opened something within her that she couldn't understand.

But despite everything, Alyssa was glad she could close that chapter in her life.

She'd had enough of deaths and all she wanted to do was get back to the present world. But she couldn't do that with Jason and his history facing her at every turn she took to reach him.

She needed to be calm and patient, so she would.

Slowly, all the crazy chapters would close. And only the promises of a happy future would survive, and Alyssa knew she would make sure of that.

She didn't know who would be part of her future and who wouldn't. But she knew she would get her happy future. She had to, she would make sure of that.

A/N : Anyone relates to Alyssa here?
I know you all might be thinking... Didn't she get over it too soon? But considering all the time and events that have passed after that, it's not really much of a surprise.

Tell me your thoughts ~

I know this chapter might be confusing to some, but I want to remind you something. This story isn't the narration of a particular event or a few events, like novels often are. This is the story of Alyssa's life from 16 to (? - no spoiler). So of course, there will be a lot of events, some related, some unrelated. But all events will work towards making her the person she will grow to be.