53 : First Day

New York was treating Alyssa surprisingly well, and so was Dave Besson. They had had another small talk regarding Alyssa's father, and she had - though painstakingly - accepted that he had been in the wrong. After that,the tension between them had diffused a little though it still became awkward from time to time.

After her first week in New York was over, as Karson gleefully put it, she would now have to "work her ass off" to catch up.

Alyssa stared into the mirror thoughtfully, watching her uniform-clad reflection. Black pleated skirt, milky white shirt and a red tie with Oakwood's logo on it - a red bird on a dark wood background.

Suddenly, Karson called out to her, shattering her reflection. She swiftly picked up her school bag, rushing outside but not before staring ruefully at her phone on the bedside table.

After bidding a hasty goodbye to Fiona, she quickly followed Karson down the lift and to their car.

When they had finally set off, she asked Karson, "So, anything I should know about?"

"Huh what?" Karson inquired, confused, as he stuffed a corn sandwich to his mouth. "Don't worry, Miss. Taylor, you'll fit in just fine. But I would warn you - you must distinguish between real friends and fake ones. Loads of people would suck up to you once word gets out about you being mom's child. Most of them would just stick with you to gain favours, so you'll have to be careful."

Alyssa nodded at him, looking out of the window. It seemed to be just the way it had been in Winchestor - Alyssa Taylor, popular student, daughter of well-known theatrist and lawyer.

She honestly missed Mel's Town so much. She'd found a somewhat normal life there, with friends who didn't care for her money.

The driver parked the car just outside Oakwood, her big and majestic new school. Alyssa hopped out, following Karson, almost feeling like a younger sister and not an older one.

Oakwood had an ancient, Victorian style architecture from outside, but inside it was more modern and relevant. The school was gigantic, to say the least. Alyssa signed into the office, which had all fancy chairs and computers which looked like they were of the latest model. Then, she followed Karson just as the bell rung. Karson jumped slightly, looking at her warily. "Shit, we'll be late."

He guided her to the classroom, before making a run for it and not even bothering to say "goodbye". Alyssa sighed, looking at him running away. Taking a deep breath, she opened the doors.

A room full of students stared back at her.

"Um," Alyssa mumbled, before raising a hand in their general direction and giving an awkward wave. She looked towards the teacher, who was tall and undeniably pretty for all the teachers she had come across. But the teacher glared at her instead of welcoming her. "You're in the wrong class."

Alyssa's mouth fell open. Seriously? She fished out her timetable. First class was History - Room 301. Alyssa's face blanched. No wonder the teacher was so crabby. "I'm sorry, ma'am, but this is my class," she said politely while internally grimacing.

The teacher glared at her even more. "You're talking back to me?!" she seethed. Before she could go on, though, a hand flew up in the air. Alyssa looked sideways to see Jacob Quentin standing up. "Ma'am, I was wondering if you could please check the last name in the register? I forgot to mark her present, though it seems she is."

Jacob looked at Alyssa, giving her a small, but surprising friendly smile.

The teacher, apparantly partial to Jacob, smiled at him and picked up the pen, ready to mark it. "Alyssa Taylor - who is she? I'm sure I have no Taylor in this class. Mrs. Frank had told me that all my students and no extra ones were here."

Alyssa rolled her eyes. As much as she didn't want to say it, that teacher sure was a spectacle to witness. "That would be me. I'm new here."

"You..." The teacher glared at Alyssa again. "New student? I'll need your diary, child. And take a seat instead of standing there like a fool."

Alyssa passed her form to the teacher and looked away. Jacob was waving at her too conspicuously. Alyssa took the seat beside him, painfully aware of the whole class staring at her. Thanks to the crabby teacher.

"Hey," Jacob said. "Don't mind her. She's just a substitute."

"Oh," Alyssa murmured, watched as the teacher slapped her diary back on her desk, glaring at her again. Somehow, this glare seemed to be even more vicious than the previous ones. The teacher turned around to instruct the other students to read the tenth chapter. Alyssa opened the book at a random page, before asking Jacob, "Why's she so rude?"

"I don't know. She's usually like this, but she seems extra pissed off today. I suppose she is not very fond of students. This is only my second class with her."

Alysa tilted her head towards him, whispering so as to not get heard. "What's her name?"

Jacob's reply sure did shock her to the very core.

After all, the last name had expected him to say was "Miss. Flora Jan."

A/N : So we finally meet the bratty lady. Wow I don't like her at all, but I think I've made that pretty clear throughout the chapter lmao.

Anyway, thoughts on Miss. Flora and Jacob??