49 : The Root (Part A)

Flora Jan and Fiona Magellan were the closest of friends, despite being poles apart in terms of their nature. Flora was more mature and flirty with boys, without even caring who the boy was. She would always go to nightclubs, seduce some rich and handsome stranger, and hook up with him. By the time they met Ander and Ken, she had already become pregnant twice, consecutively. In both cases, as soon as the birth occurred, she forgot all about the babies and abandoned them to their fathers.

But then came the life-changing meet with Ander Taylor and Ken Evans, who were close friends themselves. There was an interactive exhibition, and Ander was the chief sponsor. Fiona was one of the many first timer artists.

When Fiona and Ander met, they were immediately attracted to each other. Ken took an interest in Flora, who gladly returned it. Fiona was happy for her friend. After all, she knew it was high time Flora settled down.

But that night, as Fiona and Flora were talking, Fiona asked her, "So, what about you and Ken? You seemed to get along fine." She rolled over in their bed, turning her head towards Flora and giving her a happy smile.

Flora laughed, and Fiona felt herself becoming disappointed. Flora's laughter was one of those laughs she gave whenever she returned home with her skimpy dress torn in places, lipstick smeared and body too sore for her to even stand properly. Fiona had thought Flora's interest in Ken was genuine. But Flora smashed her thoughts with her words, "Ken Evans is too goofy and innocent for my liking. Seriously, what about you, though?"

"Ander and I got a date!" Fiona squealed, momentarily forgetting about her concerns for her friend. She hugged her pillow in delight, like a child who was going on her dream park. "I really connect with him, you know? And top of that, he's so handsome!"

Fiona ranted, giggling like a school girl talking about her first crush - sure that it was true love. As Fiona was too busy in her own dream world, she did not notice the scathing glare that Flora gave her. After all, Flora Jan was too good of an actress.

***

After only about a few weeks of dating, Ander and Fiona decided to get engaged. Naive Fiona immediately went and told the good news to her best friend.

"Flora, darling! Guess what?" Fiona shouted excitedly, jumping on the bed in an overexcited manner.

"What?" Flora asked in a distracted manner, a vague smile on her face, as she lay under the blanket. Fiona could see a part of the blanket bobbing up and down in a weird manner. Confused, Fiona asked, "What's wrong with the blanket?"

Flora gaped at her, flicking the hair out of her face. "Are you serious?! Anyway, nevermind that. What is it you wanted to tell me?"

Fiona huffed, deciding to ignore the still bobbing blanket. She smiled slowly, as she said, "Ander and I did it, finally! And it was amazing! Like, we spent almost four hours in bed and then he took me to the kitchen, where there was this massive cake. On top of the cake was written in pink, Marry Me. I was so happy, I almost jumped on top of him right there! Then we spent the rest of the day eating the cake and doing the deed."

Flora looked at her friend in shock, as Fiona waltzed around the room, overflowing with happiness. Eventually, after a few moments' silence, Flora whispered, "I'm marrying Ken, too."

Fiona's smile brightened. "Seriously? That's amazing, my friend! We could hold a double wedding then!"

Flora looked at her with a questioning gaze, before chirping out, "Yeah that would be great. By the way, mind getting out of the room now? I gotta change. I have a date with Ken."

"Ah, okay!" Fiona said, twirling herself out of the room. Before shutting the door, she stared, baffled and utterly confused at the now violently bobbing part of the blanket. Shaking her head, she left the room. Some mysteries were better left hidden.

Seconds later, if Fiona had returned, she would have found Flora talking with an exaggerated act of excitement on her phone, as the lumpy blanket kept bobbing.

"Ken, love, I have a proposal. Will you marry me?" Straightforward as always when it came to men, she said her point straight and without any hesitation, or trace of guilt.

Ken Evans, drunk in the feeling of loving the beautiful Flora Jan, immediately accepted. Flora rolled her eyes at his love-talk and immediately hanged up, switching off her phone. She would come up with a plausible excuse later. For now, she whispered seductively, "You can come out now, babe. All clear."

And the blanket stopped bobbing.

***

On a bright new morning, two couples got married to each other. Fiona with Ander, and Flora with Ken. Soon after, Fiona found herself pregnant with a child. A year into their marriage, she gave birth to a baby girl - Alyssa Magellan Taylor. Ken Evans became godfather to this child. Graciously, Flora declined the title of godmother. Flora did not believe in the practice of having godparents, or at least, that's what she told Fiona. Blind to her friend's inappropriate and often, desperate glances towards Ander Taylor and the immense indifference with which she treated Ken Evans, Fiona still considered Flora to be a blessing in her life. Ken must've been lucky - having such a beautiful wife life Flora Jan. No wonder he was desperately and almost obsessively in love with his wife.

But slowly, Ander started to drift away from his family. He would no longer sneak up on Fiona just to scare her into a kiss. He would no longer caress Alyssa as if she was the baby angel in their family. He would always stay away at his law firm, often even failing to return home at night.

Until one day.

Fiona decided to call Ander at his office since his personal phone was switched off. Ander's assistant picked up and stoically informed that "Sir wasn't at the office". He'd left two hours ago with the reasoning that his child needed him at home.

And yet, he wasn't back home yet. Despite the fact that his office was just ten minutes away by car.

Fiona's instincts were tingling. She was worried about Ander having gotten into trouble or worse, an accident. Else why wouldn't he be back yet?

Scared, Fiona called Ander's driver, who informed her that "Sir was in the Driveway Club."

Why would Ander be there of all other places? Unless Ander indeed was in trouble. Fiona's imaginative mind ran away with her, painting pictures of Ander being forced to go there by some hooligan demanding money. Or Ander being beaten up in a drunk fight and being left in a small room of the pub, fighting for his life.

"Urgh!" She screamed. "This is not the time for silly assumptions." She was just about to dial Flora's number when she remembered that for some reason, as of late, Flora had been showing immense coldness towards Alyssa. So she dialed Ken, asking him if he could look over Alyssa for some time.

"Okay," Ken's quiet voice could be heard from the other end of the line. "In any case, Flora isn't coming home today so I'm all free." He sounded a little depressed.

Momentarily forgetting Ander, Fiona asked, worried, "What's wrong, Ken?"

He hesitated for a moment, before replying, "It's nothing serious. I just... Miss Flora so much and she's been awfully busy with her boutique lately. She doesn't even come home at night sometimes. Anyway, I'm coming over in a few minutes."

Fiona felt pity for Ken. He was always so innocent, generous and loving. But then she remembered Ander and immediately got ready to leave, as soon as Ken would arrive.

A/N : Ah we're finally at the root of the trouble... Its been a long journey phew. Thanks for sticking. Have a nice day!

Q : Opinion on Ken Evans now that we've finally met him in person (apart from his attack scene which Alyssa dictated to Brodey)?