7: Her Music

Alyssa didn't bring many dresses. More than half her clothes were lying in her cupboard, back in Winchestor. Left unused and untouched, even though Catherine had tried to sneak in a few extra clothes into Alyssa's bag.

"Seriously, Alyssa, you're in dire need of some clothes. There are barely enough here," Tarlos said, examining her luggage.

"We can go shopping sometime!" Amiya yelled, bumping the air with her fists. "I'll call dad and ask him for some money..."

Tarlos nodded. "I'll tell Mom, too."

Alyssa face tightened, as her friends made these plans. All her money was already in the bank. She didn't have any mom or dad to call. She wished she could though... even if it only be to hear them scold her for having spent too much cash. She wished she could listen to their voice again...

But no...

"Alyssa, you okay?" Amiya asked.

"Yes...yes," Alyssa didn't know whether she was trying to convince them or herself that she was okay. Because in truth, she was not okay. Far from it...

Though Amiya's eyes did narrow slightly, she backed off the topic. "Did you find anything for her to wear, Tarlos?"

"Yeah...what about this?" Tarlos pulled out a royal blue, turtleneck dress that had been gifted to her by Liarane on her 16th birthday on 9 February. The last birthday she'd had with them. Because five months later...

Alyssa shook her head. She was about to tread into the danger zone...

"Perfect," Alyssa croaked. Though she wasn't sure if she would be able to wear it without bursting into tears...

***

"This Challenger is awesome!" Amiya whooped, as Alyssa made a swerve for the direction towards which Amiya had pointed.

"You've been saying the same thing ever since you saw it, Amiya!" Tarlos said, amused. The Challenger had been a gift to Alyssa after the success if Beverly's Princess, one of Liarane Taylor's most hit plays of all times.

"But still...Hey, Liz, how fast can you drive?"

"These roads are too crowded. I'll show you someday. I love driving fast!" Alyssa said, smiling, as adrenaline took control. She rolled down the windows, feeling the wind slashing across her face. It was a feeling no one should miss...

Alyssa swerved right to avoid a car, and as she drove away, she could no longer hear the driver cursing her for driving 'recklessly fast'. But Alyssa knew what she was doing well enough...

"Right," Amiya directed.

After a few seconds, they had finally reached their destination. Alyssa cut off the ignition. Her hair was messy, but she was happy. She beamed.

But Amiya whined, "Gosh, my pretty hair!"

Her red hair had finally turned into a bird's nest, much to Alyssa's and Tarlos' amusement.

The coffee shop was nothing like a typical Starbucks or CCD. It was small but cozy, and soft music floated from within. Built near a small river, it overlooked a wonderful scenery. Definitely a stress-buster place.

Alyssa followed Tarlos in, and they took a seat at the corner table, which could seat over ten people and was the largest table there.

"Wait, did you invite someone else?" Tarlos asked Amiya.

Alyssa looked around, momentarily blocking out their conversation.

The room was wood-panelled, with flower-pots and pictures in the corners. A couple of nature photos were hanging from the walls. There was a sweet aroma in the air.