Chapter 31 🍩

"Thanks for agreeing to meet with me on such short notice." I clasped my hands together and smiled at Layla.

She nodded and took a sip out of her smoothie, adjusting her hat to the back.

"No problem. Is there anything I can help you with?" she asked shyly.

"Yes. I need you to help me find out about this woman." I brought out my phone and showed her the clear picture I had taken of the photo I found in mother's room.

It had been days since I made the discovery and days since I had been trying to convince myself not to give in to the curiosity. In the end, the latter won and there I was with Layla.

Layla chuckled nervously at my request and took a bigger sip of her drink while whirling a lock of fiery red hair.

"Me? I can't do anything. I can't even operate-"

"Don't try to lie to me, Layla. I know you hacked Bloomville's security system to get classified files on Brian when he hurt me and some other stuff." I said flatly.

Her doe-like blue eyes jutted out like saucers as she gawked at me.

"How? I-I mean wh-wh-what?" another nervous chuckle and this time, I gave her an unconvinced look that shut her up.

"Okay, fine! But don't tell anybody, please. My parents would kill me if they found out I hack top-notch securities for fun."

I shrugged and waved my phone, bringing her attention back to it.

"Find out this woman and your hacking adventures never happened." I pointed to the other woman apart from the identical Carmens in the photo.

"Blackmail." She grumbled and took a closer look at the photo.

"Hey, is that not-" she started but I shook my head warning her. Understanding the message, she sent the photo to her phone and finished her smoothie.

"A week. Give me a week."

I shook my head and followed her lead, standing up.

"Three days and that's final."

She gaped at me disbelievingly.

"That's not enough time!" she protested. I lifted one delicately trimmed eyebrow.

"Are you saying you can't get it done by then?"

"I can b...but-"

"Great! Thanks, Layla, you're the best." I hugged her and exited the shop. Stopping at the sidewalk to look at the date, I sighed.

Three more days and I would know whatever secret was hidden in that photo.

                        *******

I was on the road with Dwayne doing the driving. Ever since the revelation of Abel not being my biological father, I had been keeping him updated on whatever was going on in my life with the watered-down version of the story. When Layla had sent me the information on the other woman in the photo, he was with me and he had insisted on driving me.

It would save money according to him, and he wasn't going to leave me, no matter whatever happened.

__________
______________________________________

Layla ❤❤: Name: Juliet Armano.
                       Date of Birth: 17th                January 1979.
                      Age: 41 years old.
                     Occupation: Baker.
                    Marital status: Married to a Mr. Armano with six children.
                   High school & College: Peterson High School, California & The University of New York.
                  Current address:  House 37, Bluster street, Apparell Housing Estate.