Chapter 20🗡️

Dedicated to DeeDeeMars. Thanks for giving this book a chance❤️

For the past hour, my thoughts were possessed with Dwayne and ways of killing whoever was responsible for scheduling Bloomville's and Banville's High soccer match in winter.

We were once again in the stadium cheering for Dwayne as Bloomville High was winning. It wasn't easy, but at the end of the day, Bloomville won with 5-4.

Our cheers and celebratory shouts filled the whole stadium, and I saw Dwayne a little too late running towards my direction. Before I could say anything, I was picked up and twirled by an ecstatic Dwayne.

"Dwayne!"I laughed. "Let go!" another laugh, "You are all sweaty, and you stink." More laughs.

He finally let me go and dropped me carefully. I was about to chastise him for getting me dirty, but he stopped me with a soft kiss on my lips. I stared at him, eyes bulging and mouth agape as he went back to the field to join his team in their celebration.

"Whoo! Girl, you got it bad." Mel teased, and I promptly replied with a shut-up. I noticed Dwayne having a conversation with some Lockstone scouts, and I smiled.

Even though they had recognized Dwayne's skills, they still insisted on sending out some scouts to see if Dwayne was truly that talented. Judging from Dwayne's glow and the satisfied looks from the scouts, I say they were convinced beyond doubt on Dwayne's skills.

Suddenly feeling parched, I rose up from my seat and went to the corner where refreshments were sold. The carts were empty without anyone there to sell anything. With a resigned sigh and mild annoyance for my sudden thirst, I headed back to the main stadium only for me to be stopped.

I was dragged into the dark corner with a hand on my mouth and flung to the floor harshly. I laid there for a minute, dazed and breathless. I wasn't given time to recover when I was picked up, not so gently.

Black spots cleared around my eyes, and I widened in fear as I took in a sneering Brian.

"Hello, Mona." His once boyish looks were now pulled in a frown, and he had a crazed gleam in his eyes that made me weary. I looked down, and to my horror, I saw a flash of metal.

He was planning on stabbing me with a knife.

I was cut-short from my musing when he backhanded me and sent me flying to the wall. I used my elbows to shakily prop myself up. I saw another flash of metal whizzing towards me, and with all my might, I ducked.

Brian tried again, but I dodged the attack. He grew more frantic and desperate with his swings, and soon I grew weary.

"Why don't you stop? It's over for you bitch. I'm going to make you pay and then leave you to bleed everywhere so that your new pretty boy boyfriend will find you. If I can't have you, fake girlfriend, or not, no one will!" Brain roared in glee.

He grew faster and impatient, and I grew tired and slow. I was moving on pure adrenaline. The slap and falls to the ground had taken much of my breath. I knew I wasn't going to last much longer. I fervently prayed under my breath that someone would find me and call for help.

In a last attempt to escape, I grabbed a fistful of wet sand in my hand and threw it at his face. I didn't need to know if he was temporarily blinded as his raging swears reached me. I hadn't gone far in my escape when I was yanked back by my hair.

"You'll pay for that, bitch!"

The sounds of my friends' footsteps and their calls drew a relieved sigh from my mouth. But it also distracted me from Brian. Having already heard the incoming intruders, he quickly sought an opening, and when he saw one, he struck it hard and fast.

I didn't register the pain until I looked down to see the blade sticking out from my side. I whimpered in pain as blood gushed out freely. Brian looked pleased and was about to run away. I couldn't let that happen. The voices were getting closer, and so I held on to his shirt using every strength that I had left.

"Let go of me, you bitch!" he screamed as the footsteps drew nearer and nearer. When I refused to let go, he held the knife's hilt and further buried it in me.

I let out a loud cry of pain and instinctively dropped my hands from his shirt to my bleeding sight. The pain was too intense, and so I laid on the cold ground whimpering.

"Mona!"

"Lisa!"

"Someone call an ambulance!"

"Oh my gosh!"

The sounds and sights around me were growing hazy and blurry. I felt so tired. I felt like sleeping. I wanted to sleep. Sleep was good, pain, not so good.

Just close your eyes, Mona, you're tired. So so tired.

"Lisa! Listen to me! Listen to my voice. You can't fall asleep, you hear me! Don't fall asleep!" I heard a voice scream in my ear. The voice sounded scared. I sleepily searched my brain for the face the voice belonged to.

"Dwayne?" I questioned feebly.

He nodded, relief evident in his eyes.

"Stay with me, Mona. Please, don't let go." He cried. I would have replied I wasn't going anywhere, but I was enveloped by darkness.

Ah, sleep at last.