Chapter 25 (Part One) 👗

"Girl, you have to lend me some of your shoes for my next date. You freaking have Kathryn Wilsons pump and Stuart Weitzman Diamond Dream stilettos! How is that even possible?" Melanie shrieked holding each piece of the aforementioned shoes.

I studied the shoes, taking in their beautiful and skillful craft, and smiled.

"You're free to borrow them. I didn't even know I had them." I replied.

With a gust of wind, Mel was hugging me tightly, chanting 'thank you' all over and over.

"So who's your date?" I inquired when she finally released me.

"Remember the guy from the funfair last month? Yeah, that's him. We exchanged numbers then and he asked me out yesterday. I'm so happy!" she squealed and strolled back to my closet.

I congratulated her before my mind took me back to my date. Dwayne had called last night to tell me about his day. Dr. Jeremiah was getting better and the twins were doing fine. Then, he suddenly announced he was taking me out the next day. Vague descriptions like wear dark comfy clothes and bring extra wear were only what I got before he hung up.

I phoned Mel very early the next day to help me and she jumped at the opportunity to dress me up.

"Hmm...dress in comfy dark clothes I wonder where he's taking you." Mel's voice reached me from the closet, and I hummed, trying hard not to scratch my hair.

She had already done my makeup and hair. As per my request, she had made the makeup as light and natural as possible. She styled my curly tresses into half ponytail with few stray tendrils hanging here and there.

The only thing remaining was what to wear.

"Ahah! I've found it."

Clicking sounds from her ankle boots alerted me of her approach before I saw her. In her left hand was a pair of black thick heel Martins boots and black Adidas high-top sneakers. On the other hand, there was a navy blue cotton dress and a black ribbed jumpsuit coupled with a navy blue jeans jacket.

I stood up from the chair I was perched in and surveyed the outfits Mel had chosen. I fingered the material of the dress and jumpsuit and gleamed. They were soft and comfy.

"They're perfect Mel, thank you," I whispered, tears stinging the back of my eyes.

Mel ushered me into my closet with the cotton dress and the black sneakers.

"Don't you dare go sentimental on me, Mona. One tear that ruins my handiwork and you're dead. Now, go be beautiful." She said with a final push and slammed the door in my face.

Five minutes later, I was spinning in front of a squealing Mel.

"Oh, you look beautiful Mona! I'm a genius, a legend. I think I deserve my name sang in revere." She lifted her mauve painted hands to fan herself. I quirked an eyebrow in her direction to which she ignored skillfully.

"Lemme just touch-up your makeup and you're good to go."

When she was done with reapplying the cherry pink lipstick and blush, she shoved a pink purse in my hand.

"Your extra clothes and basic makeup tools are in there. I also put a little something for protection in there, you know in case." She winked and laughed out loud when I cried in mortification."

I locked my door and trailed after her towards the exit door.

"I'm so glad your mum isn't here. I don't know how I would have reacted if I had to play nice to her." Mel commented when we were out.