Chapter 11 😠

A short memory flashed through the depths of my mind. I was just a naïve little girl in that memory, cheeks flushed pink with the wind and eyes that shone with innocent and undiluted happiness. I was shaking hands with a younger Rebecca in that memory, both of us agreeing on our friendship pact. A boy, a few years older than me, started chasing us with water guns in that memory. In that long-forgotten memory of happiness, there was Ezra.

Most of my childhood was spent in the city; we only moved to Bloomville when Ezra started having problems. Rebecca Rose was my first and best friend back then. We were so close, people thought we were sisters.

I was always the pretty kid when growing up while Rebecca had the awkward child growth, braces, and all. She had a crush on Ezra and him on her. She and Ezra started dating when we were in middle school. From there onwards, things kind of started going downhill.

Ezra had always been the type of person to openly express his thoughts and trouble, unlike me. He had no problem with trusting people, and perhaps that was his mistake.

We were both vulnerable due to the mother's abuse and father's negligence, but he always had it worse. Mother would repeatedly beat him, and if he tried to resist, he would lock him up in the basement. To avoid her wrath, I became the perfect daughter. Sorry, I meant the perfect puppet.

Ezra had unburdened himself to Rebecca, and she kept his secret for a while, and everything was okay. The real problem started when they had a falling out. Rebecca threatened to use his secrets against him. She became manipulative, using him and his money however she pleased.

Sure, Mr. and Mrs. Rose were rich, but Rebecca wanted more. She became jealous and spiteful, and by the time I realized, it was too late. Ezra was far lost in his depression, and our parents were not helping matters.

It was only when the mother realized her reputation was on the line that we moved to Bloomville. Ezra was kept a secret from the people, and his condition didn't improve. Somehow, he found the dark parts of the town and got addicted to weed and drugs. No matter how bright he smiled, the effects of the depression and drug addiction were still very much evident, and it continued till the day he decided life wasn't worth living anymore.

Rebecca Rose had played a big part in my misery. Because of her, Ezra became depressed, and because of Ezra, we moved to Bloomville, where my acting career started. In a way, I blamed her. She betrayed me as a friend, choosing power and greed over me.

However, Ezra might have given her a little insight into the Del Lana family, but he didn't give her full details. Rebecca was only aware of the fact mother abused us, which was what she used to blackmail Ezra into being her boyfriend with social benefits. She exploited his own crush on her and vulnerability against him.

I was still watching her after Gym class. It turned out she only had Chemistry and Calculus with me. I got to know this when Mrs. Bracket tried to get me to give Rebecca her schedule. I outrightly refused. I didn't want anything to do with that snake.

Throughout the rest of the day, I was on the edge. My friends were worried and suspicious about the sudden change of mood. I tried as much as possible to avoid Rebecca, but all that seemed pointless when she cornered me after school.

"Monalisa." she drawled with a smirk on her face.

Deciding to not cower before her, I stood taller and raised my chin higher.

"Rebecca."

I saw the amusement swirl in her blue eyes, and they made my heart drop for a minute. This was all a game to her, and it seemed I was playing the part she wanted me to. I crossed my arms against my chest and scanned the hallway we were in; it was deserted.