Chapter 26 💔

Emotional rollercoaster ride ahead. Oh, and long chapter too, keep an open mind.

"Where are you going?"

I halted my steps and whirled to face a scowling mother. Linked hand in hand with her was father looking like he wished he was somewhere else at the moment.

"It's my school's winter masquerade ball," I answered showing her the silvery feather mask I had gotten earlier.

She eyed the mask with little interest and glanced at my outfit, her scowl deepening.

"And who are you attending it with?"

"My friends and my boyfriend," I answered nonchalantly.

Mother's perfectly drawn eyebrows bent into a curve as she frowned.

"Who is this boyfriend of yours? Why didn't you tell me about him earlier or even get my approval? You are not thinking of rebelling against me, are you? Who-"

Her angry words were cut off by father's impatient dragging.

"You can ask her these questions after the chairman's party, now let's go. I can't afford to be late and lose my chance with him. Have fun, daughter!" he rushed out, all the while steering mother to walk faster.

Deciding to be a little daring, I blurted out Dwyane's name as a reply to her question.

"What? How dare you go against my wishes? You-"

I allowed myself to breathe freely when I was sure they were gone and not coming back. Fixing my gown, I went out of the mansion.

Thankfully, Dwayne arrived to pick me up a minute after my parents had departed. He was wearing an ice blue tuxedo with white shoes, matching with my outfit. The only difference was the color of his mask. His were much darker than mine.

"Hey!" I greeted once I was in.

"Hey, what's wrong?" he inquired immediately. I bowed my head to the other side and tried to rectify my expression. Once I was sure I wasn't frowning, I faced him.

"Nothing."

His hands dropped from the steering wheel as he twisted to face me.

"Don't!"

I frowned in confusion and he explained on seeing it.

"Don't shut me out. Don't hide things from me. Your emotions, your tears, your smiles, don't hide them. I'm begging you." He took my hands in his and squeezed them tightly. My throat felt clogged, but I forced my swallow down.

"Mother. We had a little argument. She asked where I was going all dressed up and I told her about the winter ball, and I was going with you." I answered to his pleading face. I felt the pressure on my hands increase but not to the point of pain, just enough to make me assured.

"Should I distract you?" he suddenly proposed.

"Distract me? How?"

Before I could blink, he was much closer to me, eyes on my lips.

"Dwayne?" I whispered unsurely and bit my lips. My voice had turned breathy and my breaths came out in shallow pants. He released one of my hands from his once comforting grip and used the free limb to release my lower lip from the clutch of my teeth.

"Shh...I'm trying to kiss you." He whispered and took my lips with his.

I moaned and leaned in, desperate to eradicate the annoying distance between us. At that moment, it seemed like we were of the same mind as he reached out to draw me closer, never breaking our kiss.