Chapter 19 (Part 1)🎼

Dedicated to BriBaker415. Thanks for giving Saving Mona a chance ❤️

It was Ocean's and River's birthday, and I was on my way to their house for the party Dwayne and Dr. Miah had planned for them.

Choosing their gifts was easy, as it was apparent where their interest laid. For Ocean, I had gotten her a beautiful customized pink necklace that came with a silvery pink tiara, and for River, I had earned him a build-from-the-scratch toy set.

Dwayne had told me about River's newfound love for breaking things apart and building them back.

I parked the car opposite the house as their driveway was filled with visitors' cars. Once again, the vivid color of the greens decorating the exterior of the home struck me.

Knocking twice, the mahogany door opened to reveal a smiling Dwayne. He ushered me in, and scents of homemade food that made my tummy rumble greeted me first. When was the last time I had homemade food?

I quickly cleared my head of the sad thought and focused on the decoration. It wasn't time for my self-pity.

The theme of the party was royalty. Little kids were dressed up in cute ballgowns with tiaras and dashing tuxedos and golden crowns. I spotted Mercedes and Lexus among the children playing with Ocean, and I smiled at the sight.

"Thanks for coming." Dwayne's voice stirred me from my thoughts. I swiveled to look at him and caught him smiling brightly. His dimple was on full display, and suddenly, the memories of the kiss from the fun-fair slammed into my mind. I cursed as I tried to hide my blush from him.

Note to self: Always wear hair down when the chance of seeing Dwayne was high.

I still didn't know where the kiss placed us in. While I was happy that there was no awkward tension among us, courtesy of Dwayne, my mind kept looking for non-existent lines.

Why did he kiss me?

Why did I kiss him back?

Why is he acting like the kiss didn't happen?

Did he regret it? And so on.

I was not delighted with my thoughts. For a girl whose confidence in her looks had been drilled in her to an extent, Dwayne's indifference towards the kiss awakened some deeply buried self-doubts and insecurities I never knew existed. Seeing him smiling at me was like a blow to my pride, my composure, and so I straightened my back and smiled back in the same blinding intensity.

"I couldn't miss it for the world. Besides, Ocean had threatened me with immediate termination of our newly formed friendship if I didn't attend the party or came empty-handed." I explained, my words coated in amusement.

The twins and I had grown closer over the week. I would come to play with them during the weekend, and they would tell me about their day and other things. I enjoyed Ocean's talk about world doll peace and River's on how he disembodied and embodied an object. They had unknowingly replaced alcohol and drugs and were now a way to take my family off my mind.

Dwayne nodded and led me to the table where the guests had laid their gifts. I placed mine carefully and turned to see Layla smiling at me. We chatted for a while, occasionally stopping to get snacks.

It was time for the twins to open their presents. Their smiles grew with each gift that was taken from their wrapper. When it was time to open the gifts I had gotten them, I held my breath. There was no telling if they would love my present, and so far, the other guests' gifts were amazing.