Fire? Work? (Invader Zim X Human! Reader)

Not requested, just me being bored.

🎆If you're afraid of fireworks and spiders, don't read this story.
🎇Age is whatever you want.
🔞Nay.

Enjoy!

_____________________

I was on my way over to Zim's base with a bunch of snacks in my arms. I was very excited to hang out with my extraterrestrial best friend. He was out of this world; no pun intended.

This morning, I found Zim walking GIR at the park and we talked about hanging out later. Or really it was that I was demanded to hang with Zim, which I didn't mind. It was cool hanging out with the two. Even if we were all lounging around, watching GIR's creepy shows.

Walking up to the door step, the gnomes kept their gaze on me. Jokingly I flipped one off. The gnome quickly looked away. "Zim quit watching me and let me in!" I shouted through the door. To my surprise GIR answered the door. It wasn't out of the ordinary, but GIR seemed terrified of something. "Quick human c'mon in!" GIR ushered me in quickly. He slammed the door shut, startling me a bit.

"What's going on GIR?" I asked him but he ran over to the couch, screaming, and swan dived behind it. He peeked his silver head out and was shaking in terror. "The booms! The booms!" The little SIR Unit shouts. I gave him a questioning look as I sat the snacks down by a nearby table. "The booms?" I inquired to GIR. Instead of an answer, he squeaked and hide behind the couch. I smacked my head.

Before I could move the couch to get GIR out from behind, Zim comes up from his lab. He too, looked anxious. Maybe even a little more. The second he laid his magenta eyes on me, he ran over and wrapped arms around me. "H-Human-" he was cut off by his own sob. Without knowing what to do or what was wrong with the Irken soldier, I wrapped my arms around him. "Hey Zim..." I awkwardly greeted. I received a whimper as a response. I sighed, looking down at him. He clenched his claws into my shirt. Zim looked absolutely terrified.

Looking back at GIR, I noticed that he was crawling out from the couch. He sat up against the green wall and cradled himself.

What is going on with these guys?

"Okay," I placed my hands on Zim's shoulders. This caused him to look up at me. He stared into my eyes. I don't think I've ever seen this alien so spooked. The one time I can recall seeing Zim so scared was when it was raining when we were walking home from school. Something was clearly wrong with Zim and GIR.

"What's going on? GIR is over there talking about 'the booms' and you're acting funny. What's wrong with you two?" Zim unwrapped his arms from me. He hugged himself and looked at the floor. "There were these explosions in the sky! I didn't hear it before because I was in my base, but GIR," Zim points for GIR; whom was now sucking his robotic thumb in agony, "was screaming so loud, SO LOUD! I came up to tell him to be quiet but then this-" Zim was cut off by a loud thunder in the sky.

"IT'S BACK!! GIR TAKE COVER!" Zim screeched as he ran over to the couch where GIR was. He slid behind the couch, taking GIR with him. The lamp was knocked over, causing them to become even more scared. GIR was sobbing loudly and Zim was screaming how the explosion came back and that it was closer than before.

I decided to stand my ground. I investigated the sound by going towards the window. I saw Zim's head peak up in from behind the sofa. "No my human! Come back to Zim where it's safe!" Zim pleaded to me. I couldn't help but blush after hearing his words.

I looked up at the sky. It wasn't raining. Plus the sky looked completely clear. I stood back on that thought after I saw a string of light spring into the night sky. It bloomed into a beautiful firework. The flares were dancing in the night as the firework sparkles brightly. I was in awe watching it. Zim and GIR weren't too impressed. In fact, they both coward even more.

That's why they were so afraid. There was a firework show tonight. I think it was a tradition the city did every year for some reason. Thank goodness I finally figured out what was wrong with the two.

I turned back to them, trying not to laugh. Zim noticed this and cocked his head. "(Y/N)! Please it isn't safe!" Zim called out to me. I immediately started to die of laughter.

Zim looked offended by me laughing at him. "Stop laughing and brace yourself for the explosion-" another firework went off. Zim ducked his head back underneath the arm rest of the sofa.

"Zim! It isn't explosions-well it kinda is-but it's okay! They're fireworks!" I marveled to Zim. Hesitantly, Zim lifted himself up from his couch bunker. "Fire? Work?" He asked me in two different words, making my heart throb. He stumbled his way over to me. "What do you mean that they aren't dangerous?" The alien boy asked me.

I loved when Zim was so curious about Earth traditions and other human activities. Seeing him look so clueless was adorable. He once asked me what a lacrosse was "(Y/N) Human, what is a lacrosse?" Hearing him say words like that made him look sweet. It was astonishing to me how he wanted to know so many human things as he hates the human race. Zim really is something else.

"Fireworks are made for our entertainment," I informed Zim, "They're blasted into the sky and make a show for humans. Fireworks are very pretty too." Zim nodded. "I see." Zim was now next to me, trying to look for the next firework to appear. When it happened, Zim flinched slightly. I grabbed his hand, silently telling him it's alright. He tighten the grip of our hands.

"No my human! Come back to Zim where it's safe!"

Those words kept popping up in my mind from before. "Zim, what did you mean by 'my human?' Like what you said to me before?" I asked the Irken boy, who was now amazed by each firework that showed up. Zim glances at me and smiled. "You're the only human I like on this filth planet and I want to protect you." Zim admitted to me, blushing.

I returned his little smile. I leaned over to him and kissed his cheek. I watched him turn darker. Clearly he was awkward and didn't know what to do. "(Y/N) Human don't distract me! I'm trying it watch the show of the fireworks!" Zim snapped while glowing. I giggled at his adorable reaction. "I'm glad you aren't afraid anymore, Zim."

Meanwhile GIR made friends with a spider behind the couch.

🎆🎇🎆🎇🎆🎇🎆🎇🎆🎇🎆🎇🎆