84. Evade

"It's Viggo," breathed Hiccup as the lead hunter's voice drew closer. Kiara barely heard the rider through the half-mask he wore, but there was no questioning the dire situation they were in. His eyes snapped to her. "Hide," he whispered.

They split. Kiara crouched behind the drawers next to the desk, where her small frame was tucked out of view of the entrance. Gripping his retracted sword, Hiccup slipped into the bedroom and waited in ambush. Kiara readied her staff but after a moment of thought, she placed it down and pulled out a small cylindrical object, gripping that instead. Her heart thrummed wildly in her chest, both terrified and shrieking at her for ending up here. Stupid fear... She shook her head, trying to rid herself of the haywire feeling. Just focus! She strained her ears to listen.

Viggo stopped speaking but his and one other's footsteps continued towards the tent. "Harald, were you listening?" Viggo asked after a moment.

"Ahem, sorry. Could you repeat what you said?" Kiara's eyes narrowed as she registered that voice: it was undoubtedly the Harald she knew.

Viggo sighed at his words and came to stand just outside the tent. With trembling movements, Kiara peered around the draws and saw his and Harald's shadow on the tent's fabric. The shadows were crisp and distorted since they were cast by the lantern Viggo held. "You're understandably tired," said Viggo. "Go to your quarters and rest well." Kiara scrunched her face, stupefied at the concern she was hearing in his voice, but that tone was swapped with his usual authority in the next instant. "I won't tolerate this level of distractedness from you again."

"Alright," Harald replied. "Goodnight." Kiara saw his shadow nod and retreat.

She snapped her head back as the tent flap was pushed open. Viggo walked in and the glare of his lantern filled the tent. His steps were quiet, but she heard them.

Hiccup launched at him, hilt raised for a swift knockout. The older man took a sharp breath, surprised, but reacted quickly. He stepped aside and, with a precise jab of his elbow, sent his assailant sprawling.

Viggo's eyes widened as he took in the masked man's prosthetic leg. "Hiccup?" he voiced.

"Eheheh," the rider chuckled nervously as he looked up at the hunter. "Surprised?"

"Surprised you'd walk to your death like this," Viggo replied coldly.

Hiccup scrambled to his feet and his blade snapped out of its hilt in a burst of flame. His Inferno.

Unfazed, the hunter took a moment to glance around. His gaze landed on the table. "Who's with you?" he wondered. Kiara felt a chill travel up her spine. She gripped her object tighter, preparing to strike.

"No one," Hiccup grunted and sprung forwards. The lantern in Viggo's hand shattered as he used it to block Hiccup's sword. Hiccup gasped at the sight of a fireworm falling out of the shattered glass. Discarding the lantern, Viggo drew his sword in a flash. Metal rung as Hiccup narrowly deflected Viggo's weapon.

"'No one', you say?" Viggo drawled, brow cocked. A swift sword strike was Hiccup's only reply. Viggo met it with his own. For a moment, the swords grated and sparks joined Inferno's flame.

Then Viggo kicked out, sending Hiccup flying and colliding against the desk with a yell of pain. Hiccup rolled backwards over the desk and landed on its other side before the hunter could reach him.

With the table between them, and the fireworm scuttling around behind him, Viggo spoke in a mocking tone: "So how did 'no one' leave these footprints on my desk, dear Hiccup?"

"Well peek-a-boo, then!" Kiara popped up beside Hiccup, pointed the object at Viggo and pressed her finger down.

Viggo roared as her well-aimed pepper spray hit his face. He recoiled with his free hand cupped over his eyes. Instantly, Kiara grabbed her staff while Hiccup retracted Inferno, and they both burst out of the tent. Kiara collided with someone who was about to run in. She stumbled back and looked up at the man she ran into. Her eyes met with Harald's and they both froze. The fireworm fluttered out and past them. Hiccup grabbed her arm and yanked her away. The pair began their wild dash to the woods.