94. Lessons learned

Dagur was on his way to the clubhouse when Kiara caught up with him. "Look who's still alive!" she exclaimed. "I heard that Astrid picked up the lesson from where Fishlegs left off. How'd it go?"

"Not as bad as I expected," he replied, lips quirking.

"Did she threaten to kill you?"

The smile widened into a Cheshire grin. "Only twice."

"A sure sign that she's warming up to ya," Kiara giggled. Seeing the tentatively hopeful look on Dagur's face, she added, "Look, it's going to take time for everyone to trust you, especially Heather."

"Heather?" he echoed, perking up.

"When you find her, I mean."

"You know her?"

"Yeah, we met while she was still spying," she said quickly. Then she hesitated, before quietly adding, "She doesn't like you very much... maybe it would be better if Hiccup found her first and told her you've changed."

"No, it should be me. She's blood, Kiara. I've got to try."

Kiara gave him a small, almost sad smile at that. "Yeah, I suppose."

They entered the clubhouse together and to both their delight, the Thorston twins and Chicken were already there and greeted them boisterously. Sitting at a table, they hung out together as the sun disappeared and night fell. Hiccup and Astrid found their way to the clubhouse too, though they stood near the entrance having their own conversation. Kiara eyed them, taking in their tense postures and the worried tones that drifted over to her. No doubt they were discussing the Dagur and Heather situation.

Suddenly the pair froze and so did Kiara: Heather and Snotlout had just appeared in the doorway.

Oh crap.

Catching Kiara's wide-eyed look, Dagur turned around.

Oh double-crap.

Heather spotted him. "You!"

Crap, crap, crap, crap!

"Sister!" Dagur joyfully exclaimed, bouncing to his feet and making his way to her with arms outstretched for a hug.

"Dagur wait!" Kiara hissed.

"Heather no!" Hiccup yelled.

Neither could stop the double-headed axe she brought down on her brother with a guttural yell. Dagur flinched, closing his eyes. When he peeked one open, the axe was hovering less than an inch from his forehead, held by a glowering, panting, vengeful Heather. She retracted the weapon, not once dropping her vicious glare.

"I guess a hug is out of the question?" said Dagur.

She punched his lights out.

-

Eventually, Hiccup managed to calm things down to a poor resemblance of civility. The air was still charged with the heat of anger and betrayal. Heather stood to one side of Hiccup, her fists clenched and vibrating with the effort it took her to keep them at her side. Most of the riders stood behind her, Astrid the closest, where she could hold her back if the need arose. Dagur was on Hiccup's other side, and, though he faced Heather, his outrage was directed at Hiccup.

"Hiccup Haddock, I cannot believe you kept my Heather from me," he exclaimed. "I was so worried. Was she alive? Was she dead?"

"Oh, please. Drop the act," Heather spat at Dagur. She turned to Hiccup, fury sparking in her eyes. "And you! Bad enough you were consorting with my mortal enemy..."