Chapter 7: Where's Kiara?

Anita's eyes blinked open. She shifted in her sleeping bag. Something didn't feel right. It was like a bad feeling was nudging her brain, forcing her to wake. A streak of golden-orange light shone through the gap in the tent, announcing sunrise. Wait. Why is there a gap in the tent? Anita was sure she'd closed the tent's zip last night. The bad feeling grew stronger and a knot formed in Anita's stomach. She sat up straight and pulled her straight hair into a high-pony, trying to shrug off the feeling. That's when she realised that there were only two people in the tent: her and Lillian.

Where's Kiara?

"Yo! Lillian. Wake up," Anita hissed. Lillian continued to snore softly in her sleeping bag. She slept curled up like a cat, her lips were parted and a small line of dribble escaped from the side. Her sandy blonde hair was tangled and sprawled all around her, a stark contrast to Anita's neat high-pony of jet black hair.  "C'mon, Lilly, this is Kinda urgent..."

"I didn't eat the pancakes, it was Robbie..." Lillian slurred, still asleep.

"Psst. Lilly! we don't have time for this." Anita nudged her impatiently.

"Robbie the rabbit barfed out the pancake!" Lillian shrieked, suddenly sitting up straight. She blinked a couple of times and looked around the tent in confusion before her eyes rested on Anita's bewildered expression. She smiled sheepishly.

"You were NOT just dreaming about your imaginary pet, again!"

"You could've at least woken me up after I got revenge on Robbie," Lillian blurted out before turning scarlet and making Anita chuckle. "Anyway, why did you wake me up so early?" Lillian pointed at her watch which read 4:53.

Anita's expression hardened, "Kiara's gone."

"W-what?" Lillian looked at Kiara's empty sleeping bag and noticed that her rucksack was missing too.

"Did she say anything to you before leaving?"

"No." The two frowned. "Maybe I was too sleepy to remember," Lillian suggested.

"Probably," Anita smirked, "or she's just around the camp - somewhere we can easily find her. Though that still doesn't explain why she'd take her bag. But still... Come on!" With a burst of enthusiasm, Anita grabbed Lillian's hand and tried to haul her out of the tent.

"WAIT!" Lillian howled, pulling her hand free from Anita. "First, let me get my headscarf," she said, reaching for her bag. Anita huffed, knowing that Lillian would take ages doing her hair first, but waited patiently none the less.