Chapter 38: Thunder Ear

Kiara found Robbie laying on his belly in the grass, the way a sad puppy would.

"Hi," she greeted.

No reply.

Sitting down beside him, she watched as his hind legs twitched and, where his claws should have been, deep jagged scars glinted in the sun. He was reliving his worst memory. The troubled look in his eyes was proof enough.

Robbie was a good dragon, always the one to make her laugh. With all his jokes and cheery banter, Kiara had easily forgotten about his scars. She had also forgotten that with the scars, he also carried passionate hate for the kind who ripped his claws from him. Hookfang happened to be the same kind of dragon —a monstrous nightmare. And Robbie had a hard time looking past that. Trauma had rewired his instincts to perceive every monstrous nightmare as a threat.

She stroked his thin neck and he seemed to relax at her touch, leaning into it. "You know," Kiara said quietly, "if you give him a chance, you might find that you two have a lot in common." Robbie snorted. He closed his eyes, turned away and faded into the ground, his scales becoming grass. A soft whimper escaped him a moment later. Kiara's brow furrowed and she felt for his chin. "It's alright," she said, shifting his large head onto her lap. "Give it time."

She felt the dragon curl up around her. It was rare to see him this quiet. She decided a change of topic would help. "You know, I still have to introduce you to everyone."

Robbie opened one eye. "The humans?"

"Yeah, I'm sure they'll love to get to know you. Especially the twins; they're all about mischief, those two."

"Cool." A faint grin was on his face now. "What about that Snotface guy?"

"Oh yeah." Kiara huffed. "He'll take some more time to get used to."

"You know, I swear I've seen him somewhere, but I can't remember. I've encountered too many humans growing up."

"Okay, tell me when you remember."

Kiara felt him nod on her lap.

"Kiara!" She turned as Fishlegs came jogging up to her. "I've been looking for you."

"Hi, Fishlegs. Take a seat." Kiara patted the grass beside her. Fishlegs dropped down beside her, smiling. "So... What's brought you looking for me this time?"

"I just wanted to know.. How?"

"How what?"

"How did you befriend a changewing? How did you approach him? And how on earth did you not get sprayed by acid?"

Robbie, still camouflaged, let out a cheeky giggle. He knocked the Viking's hat off with a flick of his tail. Fishlegs screeched and his wide eyes darted all over the place. "H-he's here?"

"Yup." Kiara motioned to her lap as Robbie reappeared, his scales shifting back to red. Fishlegs gasped.

"He's quite the scaredy-cat," Robbie commented.

"Be nice," Kiara muttered. "Fishlegs, meet Robbie. A changewing with a knack for mischief and a rather.. passionate side for me. As you saw yesterday with Snotlout." She mumbled the last bit.

Robbie grinned, a deep chuckle vibrating in his throat. "I regret nothing."

"Of course you don't."

"I don't what?" Fishlegs asked.

"Oh, I was saying that to Robbie."

"Right..." Fishlegs smiled at the changewing and gave him a small wave "Hi Robbie. I'm Fishlegs."