88. Back from the wizards

In the early sun, the island of Dragon's Edge shone like an emerald nestled in a sea of sparking topaz. A soft breeze filled the three dragon's wings, carrying them towards the beautiful sight, but as they and the two riders descended, the view became slightly more terrifying. "Odin, help us," Hiccup said as he spotted Astrid just outside the dome, her hands on hips and steam rising from her head. Even from the distance, they could feel the heat of her piercing eyes on them.

"Is fleeing an option?" Kiara asked, gulping.

"Best to get this over with." He led them toward the dome and the dragons landed inside with three thuds. The riders dismounted and faced Astrid. Instead of storming up to Hiccup first, she stomped towards Kiara and shoved Kiara's note against her chest. "We're off to see the wizards and retrieve the dragon-eye?!" she repeated the note, outraged.

"I m-meant to, y'know—" A punch to the shoulder cut off Kiara's nervous ramble.

"I thought you'd grown out of your secrets and stupid solo act but instead you recruited...?" Before Kiara could respond, Astrid's glower turned to Hiccup and she shoved his note in front of his face. "And how could you agree to this?!" she exclaimed. "Have you completely lost it? What happened to being a responsible adult? Huh?!" She repeatedly prodded him in the chest as she ranted. "You could have died, Hiccup Haddock! Heck, you could have died, Kiara! After the stunt we pulled with the quakens, they. Want. Us. Dead. You both know that! WHAT were you THINKING?!"

"I wasn't thinking, I'm sorry," Hiccup quickly said, lifting his hands in surrender, "It's my fault."

"Wha-what? No!" Kiara spluttered. "It was my idea and—"

"And as your leader," he cut in, "I should have shut you down but..." He sighed, and his gaze lowered. "I suppose you weren't the only one too eager to one-up Viggo."

"So you're both knobheads. How enlightening," Astrid said, her tone so deadly that they both flinched.

"You-you're right," Hiccup said, stepping forwards.

"We're both so, so sorry," Kiara said, eyes pleading.

"Argh. Not forgiven!" Astrid shrieked, shoving him backwards. "Not even close! Either of you! Do you have any idea what you put me through?! I sent for the A team to get a full-scale invasion of their base in case Viggo has the pair of you in his clutches and IT'S A WONDER HE DOESN'T!" Her eyes flickered between the two, noting how Kiara cradled her arm and the striking bruise that claimed half of Hiccup's jaw. "You look like beat jailbirds to me! And what if—what if we got there and..."

"Astrid," he whispered as Kiara hung her head, both feeling guilt pool in their stomachs.

"Don't even," she snapped with a raised finger. "Now unless you troll-brained idiots want to get yourself killed, you are never doing something like this ever again OR THOR HELP ME—"

Hiccup took hold of her hands. "We won't." 

"This won't happen again, ever," Kiara promised. 

"We put you through Hell, Astrid," he said, lifting his gaze from their entwined hands to look into her eyes, "and no amount of apologising fixes that, but we're both truly sorry."

Astrid pulled her hands away and folded her arms, glaring at them both. "Still not forgiven." She glanced away. "but...that's a start." Kiara and Hiccup let out a breath.

"Thanks," she breathed, starting to back away, "I'll make it up to you." Astrid raised a brow at this. "Starting now. I-I'll send a terror mail to call off the A-team." The brow arched higher.