65. Mala's Wrath

"Are you gonna get your changewing to blast us out of here already?" Snotlout asked, a little impatient.

"No," Kiara said as she let Gem settle on her shoulder. "They'll just take that as proof that we're hunters."

"Oh right," he said, raising his eyebrows in realisation. "And you don't want your people to hate you, of course."

"My people?" she mumbled, then smirked as she realised his misunderstanding. She played along, pretending he was right to assume that this was where she was from. "What gave it away?" she asked, curious.

"It's obvious. You're just like them."

Kiara hummed in agreement trying not to chuckle as he listed all the similarities.

"Like, uh... why you wear that black thing on your face, or why you love dragons, or why you're weird and secretive and..."

"Is this ACTUALLY where you're from?" Tuffnut interrupted.

Kiara smiled. "Nope."

"What? This isn't your home?!" Snotlout exclaimed, looking completely baffled. "But— but I thought you had to go straight home when you— so wait, you didn't get the crystal?"

Frowning, Kiara looked around to see Hiccup, Astrid and Fishleg's flashing similar looks of confusion at each other. As painful realisation settled in, Kiara spoke, "You thought that if I got... what I wanted, I would just leave you guys?"

Snotlout didn't pick up the hint of despair in her quiet voice. "Well, yeah," he said simply. "It's really important to you. And you did just disappeared so..."

Kiara looked away, quiet.

"...yeah."

The door burst open and light flooded in. "Walk out in a single file!" a woman ordered. Not hesitating, Kiara stepped into the sun. The others reluctantly followed. Dressed in all-black, the defenders of the wing surrounded them like sentinels, watching with sharp eyes. The woman who had spoken stepped forward. "The dragon comes with me," she said. Kiara narrowed her eyes. "The dragon goes where he wishes," she replied. She stroked the back of Gem's neck and he rose from her shoulder. With a parting roar, he fluttered away. There was a pause before the woman gave them the order to walk.

In near silence, the defenders escorted the riders to their trial. Kiara glanced at the one walking beside her and found hazel eyes staring intently back. It was Je'ann. "You know I wouldn't," Kiara said quietly. Je'ann gave her a single nod. "I know," she whispered back.

-

This trial felt different to Kiara's first. Though Mala still sat on her throne with Throck beside her, her face didn't hold the stoic expression from last time with anger burning underneath. Instead, a look of betrayal had broken through as she lay her eyes on Kiara. This felt worse for sure.

"I warned you, Kiara," Mala said. "I warned you of what would happen if I found out that you are one of them."

"You are mistaken, Mala," Kiara tried to explain.

"Quiet!" she barked, her eyes flashing. "Do not speak out of turn." Kiara begrudgingly shut her mouth. "Let your leader step forwards," Mala said.

Hiccup did so while shooting an apologetic look to Kiara. She barely took notice, too busy trying to bottle up her frustration. When he was in the middle of the court, alone and under the scrutiny of a hundred sets of eyes, Mala spoke.