Chapter 30

Third Person

Jennie gained consciousness but when she tries to open her eyes, they seemed a bit heavy. She also tried lifting her arm but it didn't even move an inch.  She groaned. What is happening with me?

"You're awake," she heard a voice and then she heard footsteps running and a door closing. Jennie tried to open her eyes once more and she successfully opened it but it was not enough for her to see properly. A bright ray of light started peeking to her opened eyes and she can't help but to close them again.

Jennie heard the door opened again and more footsteps arrived. "Here's the room doctor."

A shuffling of footsteps arrived and she felt a presence in front of her. She tries to get a hold of her surroundings, a machine was beeping somewhere. Jennie opened her eyes again but this time she let her eyes adjust to the light until she sees from her side a heart rate monitor and a doctor with a bunch of nurses gathered in front of her bed. What really is happening?

"Jennie, thank heavens you're awake. Do you know how much you made me worry? You slept for two months!" A voice she heard from earlier got her attention. A beautiful woman probably in her 20s with worry on her face is standing there.

"Nayeon," She says with her weak voice.

"Yes, I am. Jennie Ruby Jane, what the hell happened with you?" she scolds her but then tears eventually formed in her eyes. "I thought I was gonna lose you. You're my only friend you know," Jennie tried to voice another word but she still can't speak so she just gave her friend a smile.

"Are you really sure you're okay now? We can still extend your days here in the hospital if you're not feeling well," Nayeon asks Jennie again for how many times today when they learned that Jennie can get discharge the next day from the hospital  where she's admitted.

"I am really okay now Nayeon. Thank you for worrying about me and I think you're already causing inconvenience to the others in this hospital because you're always staying here. You're making my bed a hotel room because you are refusing to go home," Jennie looks at her friend in disbelief but thanked her regardless for taking care of her. Nayeon also laughs after hearing her friend. No one knows how worried she was upon hearing the news that Jennie got into an accident when a drunk driver suddenly bumped into her car. She immediately booked a plane ticket to New Zealand as soon as she heard what happened to her friend. Jennie's driver tried to avoid the cars from colliding with each other but it was too late when a big impact was thrown at their car making it roll on the street. It was lucky that both passengers of the said cars survived.

"I told you to stop overworking yourself. Now look at what happened to you," she merely shakes her head then proceeded to lie down next to Jennie who only looks at her amused. "I've taken care of your schedule so you don't have to worry about working for the next few days. You really need to rest," she added once more before closing her eyes.

"But I can continue to work next week right?" Jennie asks and Nayeon opened her eyes and looks at her incredulously. "No. You'll overwork yourself again. You can only start next month."

"What? Why? How about the offers that I'll get to model this month?" Jennie asks remembering the contracts she signed two months ago before the accident.

"Modeling is not an important issue right now. You should regain your health first before anything else Miss Kim and besides, it's only a minor brand. You have an Elle and Vogue magazine photoshoots next month and that's way more grand right?"

Jennie chuckles, "You and you're love for grand things. So you're acting as my manager now?"

Nayeon can't help but shrug, "I told your manager to take some days off and I'll take care of your things because I know you."

"I owe you one then," Jennie lay next to her and looks at the white ceiling of her hospital room. Nayeon turned to her side. "You know when I was still in Korea, I decided to visit the beach and guess what I saw?"

"What did you see?"

"Do you remember the artist of the paintings I always show you in our chats? I met her," Nayeon excitedly announced.

"Really?" Jennie briefly glances at her and smiles after hearing the excitement in her friend's tone.

"Yes, it was Lisa Manoban. Too bad I didn't get to take a picture because she seems busy that day and I don't want to interrupt." Nayeon pouts. "But that's not all of it. I still have a story that will surely surprise you."

Jennie became curious about her best friend, "What is it?" she asks but then the conversation already died down and her friend's even breathing was heard next to her. She's already fast asleep. Nayeon and her habit of sleeping while talking to her friend. Jennie sighed.

Jennie's still awake when the clock strikes at twelve. She can't sleep and for some reason, her mind kept thinking of one thing. It all started when Nayeon said a name earlier.

"Lisa Manoban," Jennie mumbled. For some reason, her heart suddenly ached upon hearing that name. But why? She didn't even know her. Jennie tried to sleep once again and after a few, sleep came right next to her.

Jennie woke up when she felt someone tapping her. She opened her eyes and saw a worried look on her friend.

"You're shaking and covered in sweat while sleeping. Did you dream of that again?" Nayeon asks concerned at her friend.

Jennie got up from her bed. She has been out of the hospital for about 2 weeks now and she moved back at her penthouse to stay. Nayeon tagged along her again to make sure her friend really rests well.

"Yes, and the same scene is happening over and over again. She picks up a rose and gives it to me and then when I ask her name, I always woke up," Jennie tells, becoming frustrated. "You know what? Let's just forget it."

"Are you sure?" Nayeon asks, looking over her friend who's heading to the bathroom.

Jennie turned over, "Yes. It's not really a big thing anyway."

"Okay. By the way, your mom called earlier when you were still asleep. She said she'll go here later," Nayeon informs her, and at the same time, the doorbell rang. "I guess that's her," she chuckled then went to open Jennie's door.

"Mom, why are you here?" Jennie asks her mom when they all gathered in her living room to talk. "Tsk, do you always want to greet your mom like that every time Ruby Jane?" her mom scolds her and Jennie pouts.

"Anyways, I'm here because I found something interesting while I was cleaning the house yesterday," she opens the paper bag she's holding. "Tada!"

"What's that auntie?" Nayeon asks and Jennie's mom excitedly opened the book she's holding.

"It's Ruby Jane's yearbook when she's in grade school!" Her mom showed them Jennie's pictures taken when she was a child.

"Seriously Mom?"

"Yes, what about it? Look Nayeon, Jennie's really cute here in her big ribbon headband right?" she showed the picture to Nayeon and her friend can't help but laugh at how big the ribbon is. "Jennie's really showing her interest in fashion even when she's a child," she comments.

"You're right about that. I still remember the time when I was picking her up from school and I saw other kids also wearing the same thing. I asked around and apparently, her teacher told me the kids got envious of her so they copied her ribbon headband," her mom proudly tells.

"Damn Jennie, the trendsetter you are," Nayeon teased. Jennie smiles at the memory.

"Okay that's enough. Mom, do you have anything else to do here?" Jennie tries to drive her mom away.

"Are you seriously trying to make me leave?" Her mom looks at her in disbelief but didn't continue to argue anyway. "I'll leave now then but please take care of yourself okay? I don't want a daughter in a hospital again, got it?"

"Yes, Mom," Jennie hugs her mom and takes her to the door.

"Love you."

"Love you too, Mom" she waves at her before the elevator closes.

Jennie went back and saw on the table her yearbook. Her mom forgot to get it. She sat on the couch with the yearbook in her hands. Jennie once lived in Korea when she was still young but then her family moved to New Zealand because her father's job is based here. Jennie barely remembers her classmates as she scanned through the pages. She flipped another page and looks through the names when a familiar name caught her eyes.

"It was her," she uttered. Jennie immediately calls her best friend upon knowing new information.

"Nayeon guess what I found?" she excitedly tells. "I'm sure you'll be jealous of it once you knew," she brags at her curious friend.

"Spill."

Jennie showed her the names of her classmates and on the third row lies a familiar name.

"Lisa Manoban is your classmate in grade school?!" Nayeon asks in disbelief upon the newly found information.

"Damn, I envy you," Nayeon rolls her eyes. "But at least I got to meet her before," Nayeon says proudly.

"Oh, speaking of that. You said you still have a story to tell before?"

Nayeon's brows furrowed remembering what she had to tell her before. "Oh that one, yes. Remember when I met Lisa, she was with someone when I talked to her. You know I only got to talk with Lisa because I called someone I thought was you."

"Huh?"

"I saw someone who looks like you so I called her and surprisingly, she also had the same name as you Jennie," Nayeon continues to tell.

Jennie felt something pierce her head. It was like a bolt of lightning that suddenly struck her and a series of voices began playing in her head.

"What's your name?"

"Honestly, I don't even know my name."

"You'll be my assistant."

"What?!"

"I don't know how to dance Lisa."

"People fall in love in mysterious ways ."

"Jennie."

"What?"

"Can I kiss you?"

"Hello, I heard you called my name?"

"Hey Jennie, only three years had passed when we last saw each other and you have already forgotten your best friend?!"

"Will you be my girlfriend?"

"You already made an entire speech so how can I say no?"

"You'll disappear once the time allotted for you reach its peak."

"Things must go back to their rightful place but you should always remember to trust the process."

"I'm like the moon and you're my sun."

"Shush, I'm still here love, don't cry."

"I love you, Jennie."

"Jennie? Hello? Earth to Jennie?" Nayeon snapped her fingers at her stoned best friend. "Are you okay? It looks like you've seen a ghost."

"Nayeon," Jennie turned at her friend. "It's real," she tells her confused friend.

"Uh, pardon?"

"It's real," Jennie repeats again. "I met her and I talked to her and I'm with her for the last two months."

"Huh?"

Jennie remembered it all and all she wants to do is go back to her and talk about what happened to her. Jennie now knows why she always felt like someone was always watching her. It was her friend taking care of her body in the hospital while her current soul is having a life somewhere. But how did it happen and how come she doesn't even remember a thing when she first met Lisa? Jennie brushes aside those questions. The important thing here is all that's happened with her were real.

"I must go and meet her."

"Jennie where are you going? You have a tight schedule for the following weeks!"