Chapter 23

Jennie

I woke up feeling energized after a tiring day yesterday.

I turn to my side to feel the person beside me. My eyes are still closed while my hands do the rest but I feel nothing. I repeated patting the bed to make sure she was there but still nothing.

I sat up, wore my slippers, and then went downstairs.

"Good morning Leo," I greeted the cat and he purred.

"Did you see Lisa?" I asked the innocent cat even though he won't answer me.

"Of course you don't," I left him there then I saw Dalgom who's eyeing Leo when he continued to play with his toy.

"Dalgomie," I called but he won't budge.

"If you won't look at me then go to that cat and bite him," I abandoned him there when I thought I look like an idiot talking to animals.

My feet automatically brought me to the kitchen when I heard some noises there and I saw Jisoo who is not very pleased.

"What happened here?" I look at the food she's cooking but it's burned.

"I'm cooking my favorite dish but the chickens won't cooperate," she pointed at the burned chickens.

I get the cookbook on the table and asked her the page of the dish.

"Jisoo, it clearly says here that the chicken should only be half-cooked when you add it to the mixture so it won't burn when you continue cooking."

"I think you're right," she nodded. I presume she didn't even read it and just examined the pictures presented.

"I can help you if you want," since Lisa is not around then might as well entertain myself by helping her.

"Good idea!" Her face lit up.

"You're the head chef for today so I'll call you chef Jendeuk," she added then gave me my apron. I tied my hair into a bun after.

"Do what you want assistant chef," I replied giving her the same vibe.

"Jisoo"

"Yes, chef?"

"Slice the onions and garlic into tiny pieces," I gave her instructions while I work on the chicken. I created a marinade for the chickens and by its aroma, I can tell it's good.

We continued cooking until half an hour and it was done.

"How is it?" I asked Jisoo who's busy devouring her chickens.

"It's good. The chickens are good. You took good care of them," she answered. I can't help but feel proud.

"I'll do the dishes," she volunteered.

"I want to help."

We did the dishes. Jisoo is in charge of washing while I'm in charge of wiping and putting them in a rack to dry. We were on our last plate and I'm wiping it when it suddenly fell from my hands. The plate was broken.

Jisoo gasped.

"Did I just see your hand fade?" she asked and I glance at my hands. My hand didn't fade though.

"Chu you're overthinking things. It just slipped," she tilts her head in confusion then shrugs. I get the broom and dustpan to sweep the broken plate.

"Why is there a broken plate?" Lisa suddenly appeared. She went to me and snatches the broom and dustpan from my hands.

"I'll clean it."

"Where were you when I woke up?" I asked.

"I'm sorry I forgot to tell you. I went outside to meet some buyers who took an interest in my paintings," she smiled apologetically.

"Isn't that what my job is for?" I reminded her of hiring me as her assistant.

"I don't want you to be tired," She smiled sheepishly.

"Flirt somewhere else not in front of my chickens," Jisoo retorted.

"Go find Chaeyoung to flirt with," Lisa responds.

"But Chaeyoung's gone." 

"You have your chickens. You love them right?" here we go again. She's tricking Jisoo.

"Yeah I love it so much," Jisoo replied innocently.

"Who do you love?" Chaeyoung suddenly showed up.

"Of course, it's you Chaeng," Jisoo said after she saw who it is.

"Now who's the one flirting?" Lisa asks.

"Probably not me," the older answered. Lisa facepalmed.

"You're making me stressed. Please take care of your girlfriend Chaeyoung," she leaves the kitchen.

"Where are you going?" I know she'll go to her room but I asked her anyway.

"I'll rest for a bit. If you want, you can come with me and we'll do more than that," she flashed a puckish smile enough to make me imagine nasty things. I glared at her.

"Really Lisa? In this broad daylight?!" Jisoo bawls out.

"What's wrong with Lisa and Jennie sleeping in this broad daylight?" here comes innocent Chaeyoung.

"Yeah, what's wrong with sleeping when it strengthens your body?" Lisa concurred innocently.

"Stop it Lisa go away before I decide to dye your hair black," Jisoo pushed Lisa away to her room with the latter playfully resisting her until they reach the room. She closed it loudly but it didn't escape her loud rants.

"Babe you can come here any time and I'll gladly open this door!" I can sense her teasing smile behind that door. Maybe I should go there later.

"I'm sorry Jendeukie if I pushed your girlfriend away. She's annoying the hell of me you know that."

"Of course, you can do anything you want with that monkey. I'm giving you all my consent," when I said that, I can hear some incoherent words from her I suppose it's like this, "You can't do that from me!" "I like you with all my heart but you're giving me away with that shorty?" "Oops, I was wrong with shorty. I already gave myself to the other shorty"

"Let's not listen to her rants shall we?" We moved away from the door and just decided to binge-watch some movies like we usually do. Chaeng left after the first movie. She had a call and excused herself away to answer it. When she came back, she said that she is needed at work that makes the two of us – I and Jisoo left to watch.

Lisa came down after another hour to watch with us but also left shortly towards her workroom and now it just occurred to me. Does Jisoo doesn't have any work? I always saw her in the house unlike Chaeyoung and Lisa working their asses off.

"Chu, do you work?"

She turned to face me in the middle of watching.

"Why are you asking me that question? Of course, I work." 

"I'm sorry to ask that question. It's because I always see you here not that I don't want to see you but you don't leave the house frequently unlike Chaeyoung," I returned my focus to the movie infront.

"I work, Jendeuk. You just don't see my work but I have a job."

"Care to tell me what is it?"

"I own a company."

I tilted my head, "So you own a company?" Jisoo nodded her head nonchalantly still focused on the movie infront.

"Oh, okay," the topic died down but revived again when I realized something.

"YOU'RE A CEO?!" she literally jumped in her seat when I said that.

"Yeah, do you know the brand of phone and gadgets that are famous here in Korea? My company makes that."

"You mean the brand of phone I'm using right now?"

"Yep."

"KIM JISOO!" I tackled her.

"Hey stop it!" she tapped my arms continuously as a sign of surrender. I release her right away.

"Why didn't you tell me you own that company?"

"You didn't ask," how stupid of you Jennie. Of course, she won't tell unless you asked.

"But of all the CEOs, you're the only one I saw who doesn't go to check the company frequently," I furrowed my brows waiting for an answer from her.

"I brought all the paperwork here in the house and as for the company, I have my secretary to check on that."

The movie was done and it never ever occurred to my mind that the chicken lover beside me is the CEO of that famous phone brand. It never fit the character she shows in front of us. Well, I think every person has a different personality when it comes to work and their personal lives.

"Jendeuk can you pass me the remote," It was on my side so I reached for it but when I was picking it up, my hand became transparent making the remote fall from my grip. Jisoo gasped. Again.

"You saw it too, right?" Jisoo was startled by what she saw. Her hand found its way to cover her mouth.

I saw it. My hand faded for a second and Jisoo was right earlier when I broke the plate. She really saw my hand fade.

"Jennie, what is happening? Can you tell me what's going on with you?"

I guess there's one more secret I need to reveal.