"I'm not that kind of doctor, and you know it."

"Yeah, but I see how you manipulate that title. We all do, don't act like you don't try to pass for it."

"Okay, maybe I do," he admitted. "So what? It's not like anyone's going to ask."

"Touché," you laughed. It got quiet again.

Now what?

"You never told me what you remembered," he said. Ah, so he was starting it. He probably wanted to get this over with so he could go home.

"Did you cry?"

He looked at you confusedly.

"What?"

"You had tears in your eyes when you were holding me that day, did you cry? I've never seen you cry before. I was just wondering if I missed out on a once in a lifetime offer because I got stabbed."

Humor to cope with trauma. Your favorite.

"No, I didn't," he said quietly. "I was a little more worried about the blood loss."

Oof.

"Yeah, I guess. He uh... he threw me into the wall. That's how I got the concussion. I don't know if you knew that."

"No."

"I think that when I saw Emily in that room, it brought me back. Just the way she snuck up on me, I don't know. I feel bad, I threw her into the wall. She could have fought me and she didn't. I'm surprised she didn't break my arm."

"She said she knew something was wrong, she's never seen you actively lash out like that before. I mean really nobody has."

"Except for you," you said quietly.

"Except for me," he echoed.

"I mean, in my defense, you-"

"Stop deflecting," Spencer ordered. You stopped midsentence. He very rarely ever took charge, at work or even in general. Even when the two of you fought, he never demanded anything from you. But right now, he was calling the shots.

"Now," he started, "you're going to start from the beginning and you're not going to stop until you reach the end. No side comments, no jokes. Start."

Oh, he was serious. There was something about him sitting there in a big t-shirt and sweats ordering you around that was kind of... hot? You knew this was not your focus right now, you were supposed to do what he told you. That was the whole point of this visit.

So you started from the beginning, no pauses. You wanted to see if he would correct you, see if you had said anything wrong. But he didn't. You finished your recount and looked over to see him biting his lip in thought.

"You don't remember the hospital ride?" he finally asked. You shook your head.

"It's funny, you actually asked me if I was hurt on the ride over. You were bleeding out in the ambulance and asking me if I was okay."

You laughed. That sounded like you.

"Everything else is pretty much how it happened. I don't see any discrepancies there which is good, it means your mind is pretty healthy."

"Okay... good."

"Yeah... good."

More silence.

"Do you... want to stay for dinner?" you asked. "I don't really have any food here but we can order in Chinese or something if you'd like."

"Yeah, I'd like that."

The two of you turned on a documentary and ate dinner together. He stayed on the armchair though, away from you. It made you wonder why. Was it just that he felt safer there? Or perhaps the illusion of friendship was just that; an illusion. If you could even call it friendship. Last week you had been debating his feelings for you, and had decided he was out to sabotage you and your career. Right now, the two of you sat on opposite sides of your living room chatting about history.

It didn't make sense to you and you wanted to ask, but you were afraid of confrontation. Did you really want to know the answer?

-

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" Your heart was racing.

"You trust me, don't you?"

You nodded at Spencer as he opened the back door to your car. He hopped in after you and closed the door behind him, leaning in to you for a fiery kiss. You threw your arms around his neck enthusiastically. God, he tasted so good, like peppermint.

One of his hands was tangled in your hair, tilting your head back so he could kiss you properly, the other hand wandering down your body. He stopped at the button on your pants and pulled away from you to stare into your eyes, the both of you breathing heavily.

"Do you want this?" he asked, his voice rough.

"Yes," you whispered. You were so enamored by him, by the intensity of his eyes and his sharp jawline, and the way he said your name. You didn't need to say yes twice. Spencer helped lay you down on the backseat and started to unbutton your pants. You lifted your hips to help him take them off and then his face was between your legs, your hips tilted upward so that he could reach you easily.

His hot breath on your thighs was maddening and you squirmed, trying to get him to make a move. There was just a thin piece of fabric between your skin and his mouth but he refused to do anything. He just gripped your hips harder and held them in place, looking up to make eye contact with you.

"We do it my way, or no way at all. Do you understand?"

You nodded, but he gripped you tighter.

"I said, do you understand?"

"Yes!"

He smirked.

"Okay then. That's all I needed to hear."

He started to press open mouthed kisses on the inside of your thighs and slowly ran his fingers over the band of your underwear. Chills ran through your body as your heart pounded. He slowly started to peel your wet panties off and you clenched your fists. He wasn't going fast enough, you needed-

Your morning alarm jarred you from your dream. You woke up to sunlight streaming into your room. You moved to turn your alarm off, your heart still racing and your breathing heavy.

What the fuck was that?

Sex dreams weren't very common for you. It was one thing to dream about a stranger or an ex, it was another thing to dream of a coworker who you had no previous sexual encounter with. Spencer had left last night, you had driven him home after dinner. It had been uneventful.

You felt dirty, and not just because you could feel the wet spot between your legs. You felt bad because it felt like a weird violation of privacy to dream about someone unknowingly like that, without their permission. Even worse, how were you going to look at Spencer today without thinking about what it would feel like to have his face between your legs?

This was so fucking embarrassing. You'd held hands with him for comfort. You'd never even kissed the man and you were already dreaming about having car sex with him. You'd had car sex like once or twice in your teens, you honestly were not a huge fan, but something about doing it with the doctor made you hot and bothered.

God, what in the hell was wrong with you?

You hadn't had sex or even really gotten off much since Bryan, considering the whole stabbing thing. Maybe that was it. Spencer was the closest thing to a "relationship" (if you could even call it that) in your life and you were turning it into something it wasn't. What a joke. You rolled over to your nightstand and pulled out your vibrator. You tried not to do this in the mornings, but desperate times called for desperate measures.

For good measure before you started, you grabbed your phone to text that pretty girl from the bar last week. What was her name? Audrey? Either way, you were going to forget Spencer if it was the last thing you did.