It wasn't until he turned to look at you that you realized you had gotten completely out of focus. From the look on his face it was clear that he had asked a question, but since you weren't listening you had no idea what to say. You opened your mouth and then closed it again, thinking of what to do.

"Uh, sorry, could you repeat the question?"

Spencer sighed, closing his eyes and pinching the bridge of his nose.

"Okay, did you want to learn how to do this or not? Because I feel like I'm wasting my time if you're not even going to listen to me." You opened your mouth to reply, but Derek beat you to it.

"Hey kid, take it easy! I almost fell asleep over here listening to you, that poor girl doesn't even stand a chance."

A few surrounding people chuckled. Spencer opened his eyes and stared into yours, frowning. You bit your lip, trying so hard not to laugh as the annoyance washed over his face.

"Go grab the forms from the printer and fill them out here. I'll look over them when you're done."

You nodded silently, still suppressing a smile as you meandered over to the copy machine to grab the papers. You didn't like the way he spoke to you, but you did love how annoyed he was, and you knew that he could tell it was entertaining you. You plopped back down next to him after retrieving the papers.

"Shoot," you mumbled. Spencer turned to look at you.

"What?"

"Oh, I forgot my pen. I can go grab one from my desk." You started to move, but Spencer, without even looking, reached over you to grab a pen from the cup in front of you.

"No reason. Just use this one." He dropped it on the pile of papers in front of you and put his hands back on his keyboard, typing up an email or something. The pen was made of some kind of silver metal, probably refillable by the looks of it, and pretty heavy. Definitely expensive. Something like this was entirely too personal for you to be using.

"Reid, it's okay, I have other pens. This one is just-"

"Just what? Use the pen, it's fine," he said, not even turning to look at you. You soon realized why he had asked you to use it. The ink on the inside of the tip had probably dried up from disuse, making it frustrating to write with. One second the pen would write just fine, and the next it wouldn't. Part of your hand was dedicated to scribbles that you had used to try to restart the pen without making stray marks on your paper.

This was his revenge for people laughing at him, and it wasn't even your fault! It was Derek's! You wouldn't let him get to you though. You persisted without a sigh or complaint, hoping your endless patience would piss him off even more, despite the fact that it was taking forever to complete. You finished up the paperwork and slid it over to him, catching it on his elbow.

"Here you go. I'm pretty sure I got it all."

Spencer dragged the papers toward himself and sat in silence for a few moments, taking a different pen and marking small things on the papers that he wanted you to fix. You rolled your eyes when he did, realizing most of it was just petty stuff and that he was just looking for a reason to prove you wrong somehow.

"These are fine. Go ahead and type up the forms online so you can print them again and turn them in."

... Did he just say type? Your silence prompted him to turn and look at you, the faintest hint of a smirk playing on his face. That bastard made you sit in a cramped space with him and told you to do almost 20 pages of paperwork with a broken pen, only to tell you that you could have done it all digitally from your own desk. You clenched your jaw and took a deep breath before snatching your papers and standing up, grabbing your chair when you did so.

"Thanks," you muttered, dragging your chair behind you as you tried to calm yourself down. Spencer just smiled before turning back to whatever he was doing.

-

You were at home, digging for something in your purse when you found it. Spencer's pen. You had grabbed it on accident when you took your papers from him. You were actually familiar with pens like this. Your career advisor in college had a similar one.

He had said, "Make sure you have something that represents you, represents your brand. People know me for my pens. I always have some on hand, but I never let anyone use my nice one. See? It's even engraved."

He had bought you one for your graduation, and it sat on your desk at home as a reminder of those days. You knew a little bit about maintenance, enough to know how to disassemble, clean, and reassemble pens like this. Without even thinking about it, you brought the pen to your sink and filled a glass of water before taking it apart, soaking some pieces in the glass while running other pieces under water.

You set them out to dry, and then reassembled the pen in the morning. You tried it out on the stationary on your desk, and unsurprisingly it worked perfectly, much more smoothly than the day before. Before, you could barely write a full word without the ink noticeably running out, but now it was as good as new.

Spencer hadn't yet arrived when you got to the office that morning. Pulling a post-it note from your desk, you wrote a small message and stuck it on his keyboard next to the pen. You waited for his arrival to note his reaction, to see if he would look at you or say anything. No response whatsoever. Whether or not he cared, at least he couldn't pull that prank on anybody else.

Doctor,

Thanks for letting me borrow your pen :)